Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cigarette Lighter in 89 Chevy 1500

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter in 89 Chevy 1500

My cigarette lighter was working then it went. I noticed when it was working that things that the adapter ends of things that were plugged into it would get very hot. Just wondering if anyone would know why this would be and where the fuse would be located to see if that is what the problem may be????????????????
Old March 10th, 2009, 5:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuse will be labeled CIGARLTR and it should be on the interior fusebox on the side of the dash. Its only accessible by opening the door.
Old April 5th, 2009, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

hey Brent, my 89 silv's fuse panel faces the seat, between the hood and parking break release. actually went out to make sure I wasn't imagining things when I had the dash out.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

OP, check your ground wire, it could be a bad connection to the dash/firewall. Otherwise,it sounds like you may need emergency surgery.

1) Find a way thru the firewall. All you need is enough for 1 wire.

2)Run a 12 gauge wire(with a 20AMP in-line fuse) from the positive side of your battery to the cigarette lighter(replacements are available at the parts store also) The spade connectors you need are generally blue female.(2)

3)make sure you run a ground wire to a metal ground on the underside of the dash or the firewall.

Gotta have those accessories,man.(BTW, this is how the Mayo clinic does it, yeah-yeah...)

Last edited by therewolf; April 6th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 9:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Cigrette lighter won't come out

I have 92 chevy pickup and cigarette lighter went out. I bought a new one to. Replace it with but can't get old one out. My fuses are good and so our my realys. I think I have a electrical short some where behind the dash due to face my cab light doesn't work buld I godod and lights that are suppose to come on when door ir opened don't come on either and cigarette lighter went out about same time any pointers would be big help thanks.
Old May 18th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steph66
My cigarette lighter was working then it went. I noticed when it was working that things that the adapter ends of things that were plugged into it would get very hot. Just wondering if anyone would know why this would be and where the fuse would be located to see if that is what the problem may be????????????????
the power adapters for cel phones, I pods, lap tops, and so on, will short out/over heat because the cigarette lighter plug in most older vehicles were never designed for that type of plug.. if you look at a newer vehicles power port inside it is designed differently from your cigarette lighter. most auto parts stores sell the cigarette lighter that will work for both..

good luck
Old May 19th, 2010, 3:31 PM
CF Junior Member

I bought new Cigarette lighter still won't heat up I also put test light on plug and it has no power. The light that is suppose to come on when ash tray is opened doenst have power either. Guessing I have a short some where any ideas on where this might be