Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Complaint on dealership?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2013, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complaint on dealership?

I went to a chevy dealership a few days ago to see what they could do about my power window that would not roll up. To start, they were very rude and I had to wait for almost half an hour before I was even approached. Secondly they stated that they would have to replace the regulator and it would be $500 so I declined the repair. I went home and took the door label off myself to take a look and there was nothing wrong with the regulator, a wire had just simply fallen off the pulley. I had to pay $55 for a wrong diagnosis? Secondly, a key fob wasn't working, and they said it would be $50 to reprogram. Apparently it wasn't programmable and they charged another $50 to diagnose that. I feel this is all ridiculous. I contacted the service manager and he was no help. Is there a way I can contact chevy?
Old June 13th, 2013, 2:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

there are gm customer service reps on this site that will provide the number or look into your case.

broken or tangle steel cables for the regulators can't be repaired. if it fell off like you have described, it will probably fall off repeatedly. Most technicians will not attempt to repair this due to the possibility of future problems. The diagnosis seems correct to me and you were charged a little over 1/2 hour for this which is very reasonable.

the fob charge has me wondering. what make and year of car. new switchblade fobs do require programming. older fobs can be set up with a scan tool in 5min. If its an old style fob, I may have a fix you can do yourself for free.
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The regulator is broken, the only proper repair is replacement. Remember shops must warranty the repair. It will come apart again. You got a good price on the check out most, dealers would have charged you 1 hour labor ($100-120) to check the window. At my work we would have charged you 1 hour ($92) to pull the panel and inspect if you had it repaired then most of that labor would have rolled into the repair. If you did not you would have paid $92. Remember shops must make money good equipment ( hundreds of thousands) and good Techs ($25-40 an hour)are not cheap. You surely would not go to work for free. The diagnosis of the key fob sounds very fair also especially if they hooked up the dealer level scan tool to attempt to reprogram it.

Take a look at the solder joints in the key fob for the battery connections, they fail often and only need to be re-soldered to restore power to them.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; June 13th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old June 14th, 2013, 1:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tommy Moeller,

I truly apologize for the experience you had with your dealership. I would like to look into this further and document your concerns. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, mileage, address, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership? Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep if the cable from the regulator is flopping around then some of the awesome plastic in the assembly has probably broken and doing a "quick fix" would only be temporary and as stated no experienced tech would risk having to do the job over for free, not even counting the fact that the proper repair is to replace it