Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Dealer Service Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2007, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Service Problem

New here so hope I'm doing this right. I need opinions on how to handle whats going on with my truck. I will try to make a long story very short. I have a 1994 Dually with a diesel engine (160,000 miles). It started running rough so I take it to the local Chevy Dealer and basically say, "I dont know whats wrong, let me know what I need to do". They look at it at a rate of $80 an hour and say I need to replace one of the heads. They follow up with... if you are gonna replace one, you need to just go ahead and replace both. They suggest that they have a source for remanufactured heads, $2300 total estimate for both with labor. I give them the go ahead. It takes a few weeks, I call and they say that the truck is finished, they ran it in their shop for 45 minutes that morning and are going to take it for a test drive that afternoon and then I can come pick it up. That afternoon they call me and say... "while we were test driving your truck it overheated and the engine seized up. We had it towed back to the our lot, we had a meeting and decided that we dont want to do anymore work on it because of the high miliage, we are cutting your bill from $2300 to $1600, you can come pick your truck up". Basically, bring a tow truck with you when you come. I'm pretty much speachless. Do they have any responsability for my truck while they have it? After all, they are the professionals?? I have been told that I should not pay the bill or take the truck until we come to some kind of agreement. They told me later that the truck didnt overheat and that they dont know whats wrong with the bottom end but they arent looking at it anymore. Why the need for a "meeting"? why did the story change? why cut my bill? I smell a rat. A friend says that I should call Chevrolet Customer Service direct and file a complaint about the dealer and then they would look into how its being handled. Is this true? Does Chevrolet really care about how I'm being handled with an old high miliage truck?? I have heard that any good diesel mechanic would know not to put new heads on a high miliage engine becuase they know the bottom end couldnt hold up. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry the post is so long.
Old April 13th, 2007, 3:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Dealer Service Problem

That is not cool, I dont want to blame them right off the bat but the over heating could have been caused by air trapped in the system because it was not properly berped. Why did they not stop driveing it when it started to over heat? I know whenever I do anything major with the truck I test drive it and look at the gauges every minuit or so! You were not treated fare man, why did they not tell you they dont want to work on the truck because of the high miliage when you firsttook it in to them? I would call up someone of higher power for sure andtell them your story!

Greg
Old April 13th, 2007, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Dealer Service Problem

We had something happen that is similar to you, but ours was with an old tractor and not dealership... We took this old tractor in to get the engine freshened, what they call an in frame overhaul. They got it all done and took it out to run it up on their dyno, and it started to make a funny ticking noise. So they were going to bring it back in the shop and check it out. Then they decided that maybe it was the fan hitting the shroud, so they took the fan belt off and fired it up again they got it up to about 2000 RPM and it locked up. Turns out it spun the rod bearings on the front 2 cylinders. The first overhaul was quoted to us at $8,250.00, but now they were going to have to do another that was going to be an out of frame because of all the metal in the engine they had to take it out to clean it. which runs about $11,850.00 which they ended up paying for, all we paid for was the initial overhaul. I'm pretty sure it was something they did that caused it to lock up and it don't sound right to me either. If I were youI would consult a lawyer!