Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Deiseling problem.......

Old June 9th, 2008, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deiseling problem.......

Hello all......
I have an '89 Caprice Wagon. 307, 5.0L

My car deisels, but when i leave it in gear then turn it off its ok. I did a minor Tune Up (plugs and wires) and it still does it. I've lowered the idle. I got it smogged a few months back and it passed with no prob. With that said i was told to run some fuel injection cleaner through the manifold to clean up maybe some carb? but that would mean im burning dirty gas right? and if i passed smog than that wouldnt be a reason right? i dont know............

Also the engine is running kind of rough so everybodys telling me its the timing and to turn the distributor cap, but my cap is stationary with the 4 pins on the botton so i cant move it to fix the timing..........

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..........
Old June 10th, 2008, 5:57 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Deiseling problem.......

I'm not the best with carbeurated engines so someone else may want to pipe up here, but I believe the timing is too advanced.
Old June 21st, 2008, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

i no how u feel my 85 c-10 started to diesel this winter and i didnt know what the hell was doing it so i eventually found it that my choke mechanism was finished, the little coil element inside was broken because i never let my truck warm up long enough so my best guess is its the choke, take off ur air filter and its right next to the carb on the left side and theres a little vacume hose and a wire just detatch them and change the choke thing
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM
CF Pro Member

[ol][*]idle speed too high[*]electrical solenoid at the side of carb not functioning ( if equipped)[*]igintion timing incorrect[*]thermo-controlled air cleaner heat valve not operating prperly[*]engine tem[perature too high ... thermostat , rad, etc.[*]incorrect grade of fuel[/ol]