Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Dire need of Help..

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dire need of Help..

This truck is driving me insane! I have a 90 2500 pickup w/ 5.0 auto. Heres the problem:

About4 weeks ago I was driving the truck and I pulled over on the side of the road, threw it in park and it stalled, which was weird.. never did that b4. I turned the key and the engine just cranked, no start. So I called AAA to get a tow. I sat and waited about an hour and a half, trying to start it every 15min or so with no luck. Finally it all of a sudden started no problem.. so I flew home. 2 days went by, with 15 sucessfull starts, runs. Went to get in it one afternoon, no start. So I checked for fuel.. it was comming from the injectors ok.. checked for spark, no spark from wires or coil. Checked power to the coil.. it was 12v+. Replaced the Coil.. still no start.. let it sit for a couple hours, fired right up. Drove it for another week, no problems.. then one day.. wont start. This has been going on for a month now and its driving me insane. What would cause intermittent spark issues? I checked the obvious things like, rotor spinning. Please help b4 I pull all my hair out! Thanks!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 8:56 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Dire need of Help..

sounds kind of like an ignition module
Old August 22nd, 2007, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

can the ignition control module work intermittantly?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 3:48 PM
CF Active Member

i have seen some do that. most that i have seen work inter. will work until they get hot then shut off. but then i have seen some that will work and just quit then u turn ur car off and restart and it will work just fine for many days. kind of just depends.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the info John. I replaced the ignition modual and all seems to be well. I was unable to start the truck for 10 hours today , replaced the modual and it fired right up. Best 40 bux Ive ever spent. Thanks agian.
Old August 30th, 2007, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

carefull... I replaced ignition in me fathers truck for the same reason ('94 GMC 1500 4x4 ext.). That was just a few months ago. Guess what, Same thing started up again recently,,,[sm=violin.gif]
Old August 30th, 2007, 9:14 PM
CF Active Member

Another thing you should watch for is if you timing "seems" off check your distributor magnet. The TBI engines magnet tended to crack and cause rough running engine. So if you see cracks in that magnet you are most likely due for a new distributor.