Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

dirt track engine tech question(s)

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt track engine tech question(s)

This might be the wrong forum to post in but, I'll throw it out there anyway....here's a little background.....I'm getting into the circle (dirt) track game. I'm not a great mechanic, more of a tinkering mechanic so, I'm starting out in the low budget Factory stock class with an 81 Malibu. I have rebuilt a 350 4 bolt. My first time rebuilding but, had considerable help from a guy that has rebuilt many. Everything in the motor is new (internal parts) Block was used but, checked and cleaned. Heads were used but, checked and cleaned. intake is out of a 76 Corvette and it was cleaned. Carb is a holley 4412 500 cfm and has had a rebuilt kit put in it with adjustable carb adapter to adapt 2 bbl to 4bbl intake. cam is speedway motors part# 915-110691. Distributor is used HEI with new module and new cap and rotor. If I'm leaving anything out that might help...let me know.

Problem: I got the motor cranked up last week and have been puzzled ever since. The motor will crank and run, sounds very good when I keep the pedal down a little. When I let off the gas, it will idle for 10-15 seconds and then die. Try to crank it back up and it will only just turn over...won't start. Let it sit for an hour and it will do the same as above. My first thought when it would idle for a bit then die was it was starving for gas...but, then my second thought because it will not start again until it sits is that it must be getting flooded.....I've set the carb to factory setting. ie; tighten both adjustments down and back off 1 full turn.

If anyone could help me get started troubleshooting, I would greatly appreciate it.....like troubleshooting step 1,2,3,ect...

Thanks......The rookie! lol

Last edited by Glover38; February 24th, 2009 at 2:45 PM.