Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

EGR problem?

Old May 8th, 2007, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR problem?

Hi all! I'm new to the Chevrolet forum so look forward to speaking and getting help and hints. Can't seem to get any info or parts here in Spain so have to go further afield. Anyway, I have a GMC Vandura 2500 day van. 1992, V8 5.7L. I have lovingly restored and customised my van (Turkish). I seem to have developed a running problem. I think it was there before but I cleaned the EGR valve and now the problem is worse. The problem is that when I put the van in gear and try to drive forward, the engine wants to stop - on tickover it is fine. If I slowing try to rev it, the engine wants to stop but if I rev fast, it seems to be OK. I did notice when I drive that after a run, when I stopped (at a junction) and then went to drive away, the engine stalled. I have checked the EGR valve by pushing the diaphram by hand on tickover and it cuts the revs down/stops the engine (as per the manual). I have also tried another ECM and the problem is still there. I have tried another thermal vacuum switch but problem still there. Everytime I rev the engine and release the throttle, the engine wants to cut out (fuel starvation?). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all. Keith
Old May 16th, 2007, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EGR problem?

welcome to the forum[sm=icon_cheers.gif]. i would suggest you check the fuel pressure. bad fuel pumps are common on chevy and GMC trucks. also check for vacuum leaks. good luck, Mark