Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Engine replacement - but no start!

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement - but no start!

Today I finished up my engine replacement in my '99 Tahoe 5.7 It taken me over 6 months.

Te battery is pretty much gone, but after some charging I got to crank it several times. It doesn't want to start, and when I turn the key off I get a couple of puffs from the engine. I had some issues with the distributor, but I thought I got it rigt in the end. When I took the old engine out I had the wrong TDC, so I had to flip the distributor to get the right TDC on cyl 1. My marking on the distributor wasnt very exact, but I should be very close. Does the two puffs from the engine after cranking mean the timing is wrong? Maye I do have it on the wrong TDC afterall. I didn't treat my gas with sta-bil or anthing and it's been sitting for a while. Could this be it? I got 3/4 tank when it died so I'd hate t siphon all of that out of it. Or could it just be the battery being dead? Then I thought it would try to start, but with nothing after I turned the key off.

I don't feel it's the battery, and I'm fairly sure I got the timing right, but I've never touched timing on a car before. Maybe it could be something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need this truck running soon, or it will eat me up [:'(]
Old June 7th, 2008, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine replacement - but no start!

It was the timing.