Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

ethanol in gas engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ethanol in gas engine!!!

[sm=noooo.gif] I have a 1995 S-10 p/u with a 4 cyl. 2.2 Jasper engine. The engine was professionally installed almost two years ago. It has run like a charm ever since, and the mechanics did a fine job.

Last week, I had to drive my husband to the hospital at 4 a.m. for some heart tests.I guess my mind was preoccupied because I accidentally pulled into one of those ethanol stations and put about 10 gallons in the tank.

Ever since, the truck has run rough until shortly after the thermostat opens. We filled the rest of the tank with regular unleaded gasoline, which improved it somewhat. It has always run fine on 87 octane, even with a full load on, in the past.

At this point, it runs very rough until it warms up, and then it seems fine. Temperatures here have been running in the 70s since this occurred.

Should we just go for a really long ride and run the fuel out of the tank before refilling with the unleaded gas? I can't afford to have the tank drained and flushed right now.

Your suggestions are welcome, and Barney the Purple Dinosaur Truck thanks you!

sweethoneybee
Old February 8th, 2008, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ethanol in gas engine!!!

Either convert the truck to ethanol by buying a kit and programmer or just run it and fill it up until it stops running rough.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ethanol in gas engine!!!

Hey EuroGoldLS,

We ran the tank down about halfway and filled it with gas. My husband has driven it on short trips with the engine cold, and he says there are no problems. I can't tell you how relieved we are to know we didn't cause major damage to our new engine. Barney has been in our family for eleven years, and it's great to see him feeling better. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and easing our minds.
The Morgans

Chevy trucks rule!