Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Is Fix-A-Flat difficult to clean off a rim's interior?

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2009, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is Fix-A-Flat difficult to clean off a rim's interior?

I had a tire that went completely flat(no spare) and since I was stranded at a department store's parking lot at night, I decided to try a large tire size can of Fix-A-Flat. I went back in and bought one from the store. I have been fortunate to have not experienced a completely flat tire before. I have had them go low but there was always enough pressure in them to get me to a service station to fill them back up. I read the entire can and nowhere that I could see did it say that it wouldn't work on a completely flat tire. So I followed the instructions on the can and filled the tire until the can was empty. After waiting for several minutes I realized that basically it didn't even raise the rim off the ground and the tire was as flat as it was before. I was about to call a tow truck when a guy drove up, then parked close by to where I was and asked if I needed help. He had an airtank that got my tire inflated enough to get me to a service station so I could finish airing the tire up properly. I then rode around as per the can's instructions and then came home. The next morning the tire was completely flat again and I have decided it is time for some new tires.

So my question, as stated in the title, is will the tire place have a tough time removing the Fix-A-Flat residue from the rim in preparation for a new tire?
Old January 18th, 2009, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default um hi

I used to work at a motorcycle shop and I would just change tires all day. I dont know about fix a flat, but I do know how slime comes off. If slime is dry in a rim GOOD LUCK. We would get that every know and then where the tire would not bead up because of dry slime. It takes steel wool and a lot of time.
Old January 18th, 2009, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only had 1 tire that had it in it. The stuff rinsed off with a garden hose.
Old January 19th, 2009, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies everybody. They are greatly appreciated. I was just worried I might get charged extra for asking that the rim be cleaned in preparation for a new tire. Thanks again.