Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Front seal in 700R4 blew out

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2007, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front seal in 700R4 blew out

I'm new to the forum so I hope this not rehashing an old subject. I have an 86 K10 Chevy. I installed a 350 crate motor about 1000 miles ago. While the engine was out, I replaced the tranny seal (used original GM seal) toward the torque converter. Today, the seal blew out as I was towing. I recall the dealer mentioning that the seal usually came with a "retainer". He did not have it in stock and mt tranny did not have one prior. Is this something that needs to be retrofitted? Should I apply glue (Loctite or something). Is there an internal problem causing the seal to blow out. Thanks for any input.

Jerry
Old July 5th, 2007, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front seal in 700R4 blew out

The pre 87 700s had a huge problem with front seal blow out. There's a few things you can do to stop this from happening. First off usually it pops off because the pump bushings spins out and pushes the seal out. If this happens you usually have to replace the pump cover and converter. What you need to do is take the pump out take it apart knock out the bushing and file two notches on the inside of the pump cover so you can stake the bushing also loc tite on the bushing is a good idea. You can also drill the drain back hole behind the seal to a bigger size, because that will also cause the pump seal to blow out if it gets restricted. Also loc tite the seal on. The seal retainer isn't that big of a deal, because it doesn't stop the bushing from spinning out, so even though it may stop the seal from poping off, it will still leak.