Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Frustrated: Dealerships that don't want to replace a part.

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated: Dealerships that don't want to replace a part.

This isn't really a tech question but I figured it would get more exposure here instead of in a model specific section.

I ordered the GM Accessories chrome grille for my Tahoe a few weeks ago from GM Parts Direct (aka Flow Chevrolet) since they had the best price on it. I ordered it online on a Saturday I believe and I had it at my door step the following Friday. I opened the box and took a quick look and it looked to be in one piece with no visible damage.

On Sunday I had my afternoon free to install the grille on the Tahoe. Just as I was bolting the last piece onto the truck I noticed some in perfections on the chrome trim that were no visible before. They are only noticeable at certain angles in bright light which is why I probably didn't see it in my house.

I debated leaving it on the truck but I knew these little blemishes would bother me plus the truck wasn't even a month old yet and I didn't want to have some dinged up chrome on the front so I removed the grille and put back on the factory one. I did notice that when packing the grille back into the box it came it the cardboard separators were damaged which likely caused the two grille pieces to contact each other creating the damage. So it may have happened during shipping but it was really a packing error it seems. The box had also been opened at least one other time based on extra tape on the box so it makes me wonder if this wasn't a previous return as well.

I contacted Flow Chevy on Monday via email (I don't like to make personal calls from work) about the issues with the chrome on the grille. I relayed the information to them thinking that the damaged was caused from improper boxing. They returned my email on Tuesday saying that since I had "installed" the grille on my truck I would need to take it to a local dealer and the GM parts warranty would cover it. I emailed them back and said I understood that policy for performance parts and such so the other dealer can diagnose it but this was essentially a piece of trim that would be defective on or off the truck and while it was put on the truck it wasn't actually used on the truck and was taken off when the defect was noticed. So then they emailed me back and asked for some photos of the damaged area.

I emailed them photos on Wednesday and then some more on Thursday. On Friday they emailed me back and said that those defects should easily be covered by my local dealer. ARGH!

On Saturday I let my fingers do the walking to find a local dealer with the parts dept open on Saturday. Out of 4 locals there was one that was open, Danbury Chevrolet, so off I go. I go to the parts counter, plead my case and they refer me to service. So I go to service and plead my case. They seem sympathetic and think there should be no problem with the part getting covered but they would have to wait until next week when the manager was in. On Wednesday I get a voice mail from them saying since the damage appears to be from shipping the selling dealer should cover it.

Just freaking great! I have a damaged piece of plastic that no one wants to take responsibility for. I don't know what to do next. I don't have to time to take this thing all over creation to try and find some dealer that will exchange it for me. Not sure what to do next.
Old September 25th, 2009, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Old September 25th, 2009, 9:08 PM
CF Junior Member

$217 + shipping for a total of $263.

Locally it would of been list at $299 + tax for a total of $317.

For all the aggravation this has caused I should of just bought it locally.
Old September 25th, 2009, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Cant you return it & say its not what you expected, isnt there a 30-90 day return policy or something. Then just get one locally if you have to.

Good luck.
Old September 25th, 2009, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

It was a special order part so there are no returns/refunds, just exchange if damaged, which they won't do since it was "installed." I guess that was my mistake of telling them that. :/
Old September 26th, 2009, 7:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I would do thi over the phone, that way you have a name to put to the aggrivation.
Explain to the seller what the dealership said and tell them that if they want you to take it to a dealership, then they need to talk to dealership.

I went through a similarsituation with a valance and fog lights.
The valance was cracked during shipping and because it was a factory item they wanted me to take it to the dealership "so that it could be expidited". turns out the dealer doesn't make there commission on it so they don't want to touch it.
If it's a chevy part make chevy fix it.
Old September 27th, 2009, 7:59 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Originally Posted by jeffs_62
I would do thi over the phone, that way you have a name to put to the aggrivation.
Explain to the seller what the dealership said and tell them that if they want you to take it to a dealership, then they need to talk to dealership.

I went through a similarsituation with a valance and fog lights.
The valance was cracked during shipping and because it was a factory item they wanted me to take it to the dealership "so that it could be expidited". turns out the dealer doesn't make there commission on it so they don't want to touch it.
If it's a chevy part make chevy fix it.
Yes, you need to call them on the phone. It is very easy to say no in an email.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, I'm going to have to find time to do that, but that's easier said than done. I do know the guys name I was dealing with so I'll be able to ask to speak to him on the phone.

I don't think that will get me anywhere though and he'll just keep using their policy that since it was installed I need to get a local dealer to swap it. Pure ridiculousness.
Old September 27th, 2009, 1:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's been my experience that all of them will TAKE your money, very few will EARN it.

The trick is finding the few willing to earn your money as well as take it.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Good news. I received an email from Flow this morning instructing me to have the part ready for FedEx pickup and upon receipt of the part they will order/ship me a new one.

Quick Reply: Frustrated: Dealerships that don't want to replace a part.