Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Old December 4th, 2007, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problem

My 2002 Tahoe fuel gauge suddenly indicates complete FULL to complete EMPTY then back to FULL. Actual fuel level is about 3/4 full. This happens about every minute. The problem started this morning and we've had some rain and melting snow recently. This happened before about 2 or 3 years ago when I left the vehicle parked the Seattle airport parking lot on an incline and outdoors in a rainy environment. The problem went away eventually. Any suggestions? Computer, wiring, full level sensor, gauge?
Old December 5th, 2007, 8:35 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Fuel Gauge Problem

u could ohm ur fuel level sensor to see if it's working properly. to do that tho u'll need to pull it out of the tank.
Old December 8th, 2007, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

I live in Miamiwhere there are no hills or inclines and I am having the same exact problem. My mechanic says to fix it, he will have to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump, etc.. He said that if you drop the tank it would not make sense not to replace everything. I know for a fact it is not an issue of him making more money on this problem. It may or may not cause a future problem like shorting out and shutting the pump off. I am debating what to do. You say it happened 3 years ago, so maybe it is not such a bad problem. One thing is that the tank is sometime filled to the max. Also the service engine light had been coming on, and the diagnostic check said that it had to do with the evapourator system in the fuel system. Let me know what else you find out.
Old December 27th, 2007, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

My fuel gauge began working again shortly after posting my message on Dec 4. I theorize a connector problem somewhere in the wiring harness: either moisture gets into a connector or there is a loose connector.

This morning (Dec 26) the gauge once again began acting erratic. There had been some slush on the roads and the temperature now is in the teens. The tank was about 1/4 full but I went ahead and topped it off so the odometer can be used to estimate remaining fuel in the tank. The only thing different this time is the gauge not only goes to either empty or full, but also about half-way.

I'll wait to see what happens next.