Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Fuel pump question....

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump question....

I have a fuel pump issue and I was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this before or knows anything about it. The car has a 86 4.3l tbi v6 and has a in-tank fuel pump. It wasent starting so when I was checking for fuel I disconnected the fuel line at the throttle body and cranked over the car and fuel spurted out for about a second or two then it stopped flowing alltogether... so I tried it again and the same thing happened over and over. So then i checked to see if there was power getting to the fuel pump all the time not just during the intial start-up--- and there was... I unplugged the connector by the tank and put a test light on it and there was constant power while cranking. So if there is power getting there and the pump is not pumping enough then I figure it needs to be replaced... But I have never see this before, I have seen them not work at all, or not enough pressure, but not a big spurt and then nothing- everytime! What do you think?
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I have actually seen that a couple of times.
I think its has to do with a hermetic seal inside the pump. I'll elaborate later... I'm mobile at the mo'.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

yes, please elaborate I dont know what a hermetic seal is!
Old September 30th, 2009, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

If it was me, I would just replace the fuel pump if it was a seal inside the pump going bad