Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

FWD vs RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 8:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD vs RWD vs AWD

This is just a friendly question that I would like to ask everyone. I'm sure everyone has participated in a FWD vs RWD vs AWD discussion, and I know there are some very good opinions on all three, so Id like to pose the question.

What would you prefer, and why? I am aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each however I'd like to see what people think in general. Especially where I live in N.H, we got some curvy roads and some cities and a racetrack, so I have seen WRXs and Camaros sharing the same roads, the decision is not always easy! (sorry if there is a better Forum board for this btw)

Last edited by newmonte06; October 1st, 2009 at 8:27 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me its just comfort unless your off road, in the snow or on wet roads, it depends on where you live and where you drive it most of the time.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; October 1st, 2009 at 9:39 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Just my preference, but I have seven vehicles in my driveway and six are selectable four wheel drive. The only one that isn't is my Corvair powered sandrail. I live in Central Washington state at 1895 feet of elevation and in the winter the average accumulative snow fall is 18-20 feet, and there is usually a steady 4-6 feet on the ground throughout the winter. So four wheel drive less an option and more a neccessity.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I live in the mountains as well, and in about a year I will be having to decide to upgrade my FWD car or get a RWD car. Although I like my corners =)
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
CF Junior Member

I live in missouri and the weather doesn't decide what i drive very often. I prefer a 4x4 most of the time but i do like taking the vette out for a joy ride. I don't find FWD cars fun so i wont buy one, but its all personal opinion.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Well lets say you are at 500 Hp or more, then would you learn to RWD?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Standard 4WD, because you have the option of choosing 4WD as needed or staying in RWD.

While most FWD vehicles don't have the beef to get the job(of a pickup) done, they are admittedly good in snow.

Once had a FWD/4WD-a Nissan Stanza Wagon. The only time I used the 4WD was driving away on a sheet of ice, and cloverleafs in heavy rain.

500HP? All in one vehicle? Why not just get a helicopter?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 5:41 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I would go with selectable 4wd, that way you have a low range if you need it and an option for auto 4wd.
I have 6 4wd vehicles, my daily driver is an 07 Escalade with awd, I love it but I wish it had a low range option.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I now regret not getting the 4x4 silverado model, the reason I didnt is because it cost more obviously and I was told it cost alot more to maintain a 4x4 when they start wearing out.

Live & learn. If I could go back Id get the Diesel 4x4 model.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
Standard 4WD, because you have the option of choosing 4WD as needed or staying in RWD.

While most FWD vehicles don't have the beef to get the job(of a pickup) done, they are admittedly good in snow.

Once had a FWD/4WD-a Nissan Stanza Wagon. The only time I used the 4WD was driving away on a sheet of ice, and cloverleafs in heavy rain.

500HP? All in one vehicle? Why not just get a helicopter?
I plan to pass 500 HP when I build it. Who WOULDN'T want that much power in a car? Hit the gas, get pushed back in your seat by a few Gs, and leave a trail of smoke and some cars behind you.

That, and there is nothing more satisfactory than rolling up next to the local ricers and seeing them in your rear view mirror. Body kits and subs don't make you fast =)

Quick Reply: FWD vs RWD vs AWD