Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Gas Gauge Stuck On Full Or Acts Irratically

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2007, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge Stuck On Full Or Acts Irratically

I have a 2000 Impala that I purchased several months ago. The last several weeks the gas gauge stays on full or acts very irratically, then returns to full. I wish someone was filling the tank while I was asleep but that is not the case. Each time I fill up I have to record the mileage so I don't run out of fuel. My daughter spoke to her friend who has a 2001 Impala and she has the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply.
[align=left] [/align]
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Gas Gauge Stuck On Full Or Acts Irratically

Although it is impossible to say for sure without doing proper diagnostics, it sounds to me like you have a faulty fuel level sending unit. I am not a chevy expert, but I am a mechanic. On most vehicles the fuel level sending unit is part of the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. If I am right, you'll need to replace the fuel pump. Also a word of advice. If you take the car into a shop to have this done, it really makes the mechanic happy if the tank is close to empty. It saves time and effort involved in pumping the fuel out and then back into the tank when the job is finished.
Old November 1st, 2007, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

the tank doesn't need to be empty cuz u can get to the fuel pump through the trunk so it makes the job a whole lot easier.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 8:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for clearing that up John86. Like I said I am a mechanic, but nota Chevy mechanic so it's difficult for me to provide specific details such as that.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Definitely sounds like the fuel sending unit. I amso not a mechanic but I just had mine replaced on my 05 TrailBlazer...and I learned quite a bit about this part. I was pissed because the truck isn't that old.[]Apparently there are little metal "fingers" that look like the # 7... they kind of rub up against this metal connection boardwhich moves the gas float up/down when the tank is full/empty. Turns out...the tips of the metal fingers on my unit broke off so they weren't connecting to the little board....so the truck couldn't tell when the tank was empty or full. The part wasn't cheap (most dealers would only sell the sending unit if I bought the fuel pump too [:'(])...and per the norm, the labor is more than the part b/c the tank had to be dropped. Fortunately, I know a mechanic who was able to find a dealer who would sell the part separately (b/c he's a mechanic @the police dept.)...and the guy put my part on for substantially less than the dealer. The part cost me about $130.