Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Going nuts over transmission problem.. Help??!!

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going nuts over transmission problem.. Help??!!

Hello,

I have a 1999 Chevy s-10 pickup, automatic, and I'm having a transmission problem, and it's driving me nuts!

So I had a bad, leaky gasket on the transmission pan which I replaced. I put back in new transmission fluid... Checked the fluid levels, and everything seemed fine, and no leaks anymore.

Skip ahead about a month later, and suddenly my transmission won't engage into 3rd gear.... I can still drive it if I use the manual 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then into drive, truck must be moving at least about 30mph before it'll engage into 3rd or drive.

I checked the tranny fluid level.... It was way high?? WTF? I checked it and it seemed fine before, and at the right level?? It was maybe a quarter inch above the "HOT" area on the dipstick. I change my own oil every 3 months for over 20 years... I'm no stranger to knowing how to check fluid levels?

I really didn't want to lower the pan again after I just fixed it.... so... I bought a rubber bulb pump and siphoned/pumped out about a quart, or possibly a little less transmission fluid, from where the tranny dipstick goes. I checked it again... and now the dipstick says it's bone dry???? Even after driving around the block a few times.

What in the heck is going on here??? I've been told that transmissions are notorious for having pockets of fluid within them, this being one reason why I drove it around the block a few times, but I don't know what to do at this point?? Is it possible that something is blocking the flow and level within the transmission itself? A loose rubber piece, gasket or seal perhaps??? I really don't want to take it to a mechanic, since I try to do all of my own automotive work myself, and to save money. Plus I can still drive it ok, just not in automatic/drive.

What can I do to remedy this problem??? At this point, since it says it's bone dry now, I don't know if it's actually low? Or is it still too high? Did I possibly blow out a seal in the transmission when I drained and replaced the fluid the first time? I can't figure why I'm getting these weird readings? I always check the levels while the engine is hot.... I'm really confused? Please help!

Oh yea, last two things... The transmission fluid looks kinda dark... darker than I would have expected after just changing the fluid. Also, there is no noticeable change in the way it drives, even with it supposedly being bone dry... Which I highly doubt it really is.... 4 or 5 quarts were put in... I'f I'm remembering correctly.... Then later took out about one quart, maybe less! This shouldn't make it bone dry, should it?? Would 2/3rds of a single quart make the difference between bone dry and over filled???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Erikb; February 25th, 2011 at 5:46 PM.
Old February 25th, 2011, 7:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first, how many miles on trans? how often is trans fluid changed? what did fluid look like before being drained? filter changed as well or just gasket?

4l60e's have been known to melt down after fluid change. new fluid essentially washes off the "grit" that keep the clutches engaged. this grit takes up the tolerances created by high miles, lack of routine maintenance. most common symptom is lack of 3rd or 4th shift. hate to say it, but you may be looking at a rebuild. you can try a clean filter with a bottle of Lucas trans fix, but may not help.
Old February 26th, 2011, 5:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3rd gear is Drive, 4th Gear is Overdrive. 1999? Sounds like a control issue with the electronic valve body. Crawl under there and make sure the harness is connected and you didnt separate the wires when you did the fluid change. Also what fluid did you put in there? Did you put Dexron III/IV? Or did you put in Dexron V or something else?

If you can manually shift into gear I dont think any clutches are failing. I think the valve body solenoids arent pushing the spools to move the fluid around.
Old February 26th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Maxxman ~ milage is at 127,000, never was flushed or any transmission work that I know of on it, but I'm not the first owner. Transmission fluid was only changed this one time as far as I know. Original fluid was dark. Yes I used a gasket kit, I think it did have a filter that came with it. Another friend of mine suggested it was the clutch you mentioned as well.... I hope I don't need a rebuild, I'll try that Lucas trans fix... I'd probably pull a used transmission out of the bone yard before I put in $800 for a rebuild. Even though I'm still probably paying for it, but in labor.

@RacerX ~ Ok I'll have to check the harness... I didn't even know about that. As far as the transmission fluid... I think it was Dextron II... I can't remember for sure... It was what was suggested. Body solenoids not working? Hmm I'll have to look into this... Something strange is definitely at work with the fluids.

I'm beginning to think Maxxman could be right though.... As I shift into 3rd and overdrive.... It feels like a cluch slowly spinning up to speed till it catches, and if I'm not going fast enough, it won't grab.

Last edited by Erikb; February 26th, 2011 at 8:29 AM.