Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

hard starting 94 Astro

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard starting 94 Astro

I am trying to keep a 94 Astro on the road. Generally I am too poor to afford a mechanic, and just skilled enough to do stuff myself. That often delays things as I have to find/make time to work on cars. Currently, I have 2 issues that I am trying to work on.

#1 - The van is hard to start, and often need to give it some gas to get it started. When it does start, there is a strong gas smell. I had changed half the plugs a while ago, and more recently got around to replacing the other side. That helped out for a couple of days, but then it was back to the same problem. I may try changing the plugs again, trying to get all of them at the same time, but have to work outside and live in Wisconsin. It is supposed to warm up to the 40's this weekend.

#2 - Trying to replace the drag link. Did not look too hard. However, it just does not want to come apart. Got a pickle fork that attaches to my (admittedly cheap) air hammer (decent compressor), still will not seperate. The only advice I have gotten so far is to use my 3 lb hammer directly on the joints. I will have to try that some time, but will listen to other tips.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve