Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Headrest removal on uplander and others.

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest removal on uplander and others.

What a pain to remove the headrest on GM vehicles. There is a tool J42372 that the manual tells you to use and checking on the internet this tool is selling for $80.. I made one from feeler gauge blades that I turned the shape of the post. I did not succeed. I needed to install sheepskin seat covers on my 2009 Uplander. So this is what I done in order to remove these stubburn headrests. First I removed the plastic back seat panel at the back of the seat. It is held in place with one retainer at each end on the bottoom. These retainer are quite hard to remove also but with a needle nose plier it can be done quite easily. When this panel is removed the rest of the job is a piece of cake. You can see the two posts shafts at the back. You will notice that at the base of these shafts there is a knotch inbedded in the metal to lock the post when in maximum position. Fill this knotch with fiberglass putty ( the paste type that you mix in your hand and it set in 5 minute ) Let it dry and bingo. The post when raised will not lock and will come off very easy. After you have done the job it is a good thing to remove the putty that you installed in the knotch and return the post like before for safety reason. It took me aprx one half hour to do the 2 headrests.