Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HELP! botched the wiring replacing an engine

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2009, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! botched the wiring replacing an engine

I have a 1992 Chevy C1500. About 2 months ago the old engine, a 350 TBI, went out on me. Me and my brother had actually just finished building a new 350, and decided why not just put it in there.

BOY WERE WE WRONG

We got the engine in, but since we switched from Throttle body injection to a carburetor, we had a giant wiring harness to deal with and lots of random wires going nowhere. So we decided to cut the wires from the harness on the passenger side leading to underneath the glovebox to the computer(which is now removed because the truck is carbureted), some of which ran to the drivers side behind the engine.

keep in mind there were a good 50 wires we cut on the passengers side, and only about 6 that were cut from the drivers side. The ones left on the drivers side are a light green, black with white stripe, thin red, tan, brown, and purple. on the passengers side, there are about 5 purple wires, 2 light green,and i have no clue as to where the thin red wire goes to.

anyways, now nothing on the inside of the cab works besides the gauges. No lights, no headlights, no radio, NOTHING...

does anybody have a clue as to what i could do? i dont want to buy a whole new wiring harness but i think thats what its coming down to for me.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated

thank you, Nick
Old August 29th, 2009, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Splice and solder all wire back together. Salvage yard
Old August 30th, 2009, 3:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

MDTAHOE's right again.(as usual) Unless you're from an anti-TBI religious cult or something, is there any reason you can't just bolt off the carb intake, bolt on the TBI intake, and take it from there?
Old August 30th, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

i got the headlights working today, after about a week of troubleshooting. and the throttle body wouldnt flow close to enough air for the new engine.
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i am sorry but this makes me giggle to myself
Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Wow, i think the last time i cut all the wires from the engine bay, i was doing a 5spd conversion on an automatic...

What you need to do is pick up one of those HAYNES manuals and look at the diagrams for the wiring, you will be doing alot of cross ref back and forth between "interior wiring" and "engine bay" wiring. You are going to have to find where the grounds and power supply (12 v and brown/black) lead to (some maybe 5v refs also).

OR! You could go on Jegs or Summit racing and get a "6plug drag harness" and wire up ONLY the circuits you want. Could be quicker but, not very money effcient.

Good Luck - LE