Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2006, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!

hey everyone. glad to be on the forum but i need help with a problem. i have an 86 s10 blazer 2.8L v6. its in great condition but the problem is i ran out of gas on my way to the gas station. i was able to get about 1/4 tank of gas in the tank but the car wouldnt start. i had no time to troubleshoot the problem because i had work. so i left it on the road and my dad was able to get it started and drive it back home. but once he turned it off it wouldnt start again. i checked everything that i could think of. theres plenty of gas, the motor cranks, i checked the battery and its fully charged, theres propper output from the alternator, i can hear the fuel pump working, ive tried to jump the battery, cranked the motor and sprayed carb fluid in the TB. can anyone out there help me out?
Old September 27th, 2006, 1:12 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: HELP PLEASE!!

You probably sucked up debris into the filter or have a blockage in the fuel line. If replacing the filter doesn't do it, narrow it down by spraying carb cleaner or gas in a spray bottle directly into the carb. If it runs fine, you know its not in the engine compartment. Process of elimination. Isloate sections of gas line back towards the tank until you find the problem. Hope this helps...
Old September 27th, 2006, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

If this is a fuel injected engine, a running fuel pump may still be bad. When You run out of fuel, the pump can overheat very easily as it is cooled by the fuel in the tank. The fuel pressure may be suspect. Also change the filter in line and on the pickup tube.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

i havent changed the fuel pump but i switched out the inline filter, fuel regulator, and injectors. i checked the fuel pump pressure and it was still within specs. i basically did everything i could without actually pulling the tank. when i crank the engine, it sounds like its trying to start but it juss cant. ive sprayed carb cleaner in the TB again and it still sounds like its trying to start but wont. u guys still think its the pump even though im getting proper pressure?
Old October 17th, 2006, 1:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Pour a little gas down the TB or spray a little starting fluid in there (NOT ALOT) if it starts then more than likely you have a plugged sock on the pump and you'll have to drop the tank to get at it.
Old October 17th, 2006, 1:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Are you getting spark ??