Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HID

Old June 4th, 2008, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID

New here so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I drive a 96 caprice 9c1 LT1 with a few mods but my daily driver is a 02 Malibu. Not trying to rice it out, only have tinted windows but I am curious about HID headlights. I am not really interested in getting a full conversion kit but I would like to know if anyone makes a ordinarybulb that simply emits a brightblue color. So in other words I am looking for a 'fake' HID look from a set of bulbs in the $50 range. Do they exist??
Old June 4th, 2008, 3:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: HID

Nope. You can't get a blue halogen bulb. They may have a blue tint to the bulb itself, but it will light up white.[/align]
Danielsternlighting.com [/align]In fact, you get less usable light from such a bulb than from a regular clear bulb, and here's why: A blue filter removes nonblue components of the light passing through it. Halogen bulbs produce very little light in the blue frequency range. When you put a blue filter on the bulb or lamp, you are reducing the amount of usable light that gets from the glowing filament to the reflector, to the lens and from there to the road. Prove it to yourself using nothing more than the windshield in your car...drive towards a yellow-orange Sodium vapor street light and watch the light as it shines first through the clear portion of the windshield, then through the blue strip at the top. Up there through the blue, it certainly looks "whiter"...but it's also dimmer. If a bulb's sales material focuses on the color of the light rather than the amount of light, you should ask critical questions about the amount of light the bulb produces before choosing to use it.
[/align]You can always get a set of cheap HIDs off ebay and try them out. They should be around $75 a set. [/align]
Old June 5th, 2008, 4:07 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

Blue light will help in snow and water. Thats why lightforce lights have an optional blue lense for sea spray and snow.
Old June 6th, 2008, 7:17 AM
CF Monarch

Actually blue glares worse, soreally not the best in snowy/foggy/rainy conditions. The best in those conditions is a really yellowish light. Which is why street lamps are sodium halide lamps. The yellowish ligh cuts through fog.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

Yello is for fog and damp conditions. blue is for snow and foggy or rain conditions. here is light force filters for there lights.
http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/FILTERS.pdf
Old June 6th, 2008, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html[/align]http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html[/align][/align]These articles address the color issue with very good accuracy.[/align]
Old June 6th, 2008, 8:46 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

idk even some of the boats on deadliest catch use blue lights, spot lights for boats are blue.