Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

how to clean an air filter / can i clean an air filter?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 7:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to clean an air filter / can i clean an air filter?

hi i've seen many articles saying

"jim, it can't be done!" (buy my brand now!)

"for $5 it's not worth it!" ($24 for lawn mower air filter now)

"use soap" (nope: that makes it allot worse! was bad advice for foam, but ok for foam type)

it can be done i've done it 3x now: cotton/paper please pad and roll. and i haven't shared it anywhere but here!

i tried soap: didn't work waste of time!

ANSWER is chemistry

wash your air filter like underwear - or franklin washes/made paper

soap or degreaser are colloid cleaners. they gather oil and dirt into small bubbles (non-miscable, meniscus) milk when wet but when dried are a sticky film coating. even thought the filter appears "a little cleaner" on the surface: the filter traps the colloid in it's pockets which is really what it's built to do! put it to light: still dim, blow it - still can't

you need a solvent but alcohol/carb cleaner will hardly help and be expensive and might eat the paper/cotton.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

rinse with spray-nine or degreaser first, just to get the big stuff out and weaken the hardest grime. don't let it dry it'll be worse per say.

soak in warm water with a little bleach and a little soap (optional: put it in the drier but not too long it can melt silicone backing on high)

PUT IT UP TO THE LIGHT. it will be brighter than new maybe, you can see light through it well. blow on it - works nice. fabric is still tough to touch, isn't flaking, you'll be happy you saved $20 and a trip to store, and didn't need it same day anyhow right?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

why: the bleach is a colloid solvent, true and tried on underwear (bleach+soap lifts about anything tough out of porous fabric without totally destroying it on the first wash). it's got a low cost profile that makes it worth using: on a "$24 shirt"