Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How do I remove the airbags?

Old May 4th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the airbags?

I have a 1995 Firebird that caught fire in the engine bay. I am parting out the rest of the car and wanted to know how to take out the airbags. Anyone know a safe way to do it?
Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beats me, just be careful, those things can pack a hell of a punch!
Old May 5th, 2009, 7:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

There are 2 ways...

The first one is what I refer to as "the Fun Way". :
Remove your front bumper, take a very heavy hammer and slam it into the front lower part of your car. Your airbag will open up and then you can remove it easily. Thats the fun way. Of course...you wont be able to re-use the airbag afterwards.

The second one is what I would refer to as "the boring way." Cause...well... its no fun at all. First of , you need to disconnect the battery. (Cause fun as it may be for anyone with a camera and the will to enter "Candid Camera" , you dont want the airbag to explode in your face).
Then take a large screw driver. (Did you disconnect the battery?). Your airbag is a square box inside your steering wheel (what? Maybe he didnt know...) Put the screw driver in one of the corners and bend it, so the corner sticks out. Do the same with all the other corners untill you have the airbag in your hands. (Please tell me you disconnected the battery by now ).
There will be some plugs on the battery. Now... should you start with the red wire...or with the yellow wire? Red or yellow? Yellow or red? Oh my god!!! the clock is ticking!!!!
No wait...dont panic...after all... you disconnected the battery, right?
Just pull out all the wiress (not sure how many there will be, but my best guess is there should be 6) .
there you have it... you dismantled your first bomb. Congratulations.

(And in case you didnt disconnect the battery first... congratulations by winning the flat screen TV with Candid Camera )
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:27 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

d\c your battery as stated numerous times above .......wait 10mins, then remove the screws from the backside of the steering wheel, partially remove the airbag module, and d\c the connectors
Old May 6th, 2009, 8:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery, since the cables burned off in the fire! But how do I take out the passenger airbag?
Old May 7th, 2009, 3:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Same way, but remove the dashboard.

And please... do disconnect the battery. There could still be some voltage in the battery left which spills somehow onto the car. (perhaps just some stupid wire laying around carlessly, or your little son bending over the car, and touching the battery asking "Daddy, what is this ... KABLAM... for? Daddy? Oh...oh..."