Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

i have a clicking with starter

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a clicking with starter

i have a 83 chevy k10 4x4 with a 350 i have power everything comes on but when i go to turn it over all it does is steadily click, so i tapped the starter with a hammer then there was one bump and no power i replaced the started and the battery cables and made sure the connections were good any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appriciated........
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter Solenoid? Did you change that too? Dont rule out you battery either, It might be going bad and does not have the few hundred amps it needs to crank it, but will run the accesories fine in some cases.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 29th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Your mass? Is there a connection from the starter to the (damn english is a difficult language :s) euhm...iron parts that are the earthing part of your car?
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default clicking......

well i messed with it today the starter and solenoid are new new cables and everything battery is about 5 months old i messed with it this morning and from trying to start it the battery was dead and so i jump started it it it was fine but soon as u turn it off or un hook the negative battery cable it dies.....so im thinking its the altenator or connections to thealtenator its a high out put altenator so it should have charge it fast.... any suggestions ty....mike koffietje 1gary
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Id have your alt tested for free at a local parts store, if its not that its most likely the battery. Ive had batteries only last 6 mo living in AZ. Sounds like your alternator tho.
Old April 29th, 2009, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default ...............

cool i appriciate it i planned on checking the alt out because i got a spear and seeing if it will charge it.......appriciate it....
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

so i switched out altnators and the same problem............so it has to be the battery or the wiring from the starter to the altnator i damn near replaced everything not much more it can be other than a pain in the azz.......
Old April 29th, 2009, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

What was the spare alt from? Are you 100% it is good too?
Old April 29th, 2009, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default ......

that alt is off a 81 chevy with a 305 its my parts truck and i found a fuse blown.......for the altonater and so afterwards i started it with jump cables and it was good but i had t turn it off because i just replaced the freeze plug that is right by the starter and i havent had time to run the coolant trough so i guess the thermostat rusted on me it was trying to run warm......im going to have the battery tested tomorrow it might have a dead cell..........wheni jump it off with another car it fires just fine , but battery cables were all kinds of ****ty and corroded and rusted down inside the insulation, and i read that that can even kill a battery......
Old April 29th, 2009, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I see, Maybe have your battery load tested just to make sure, It does seem like your battery now.

Quick Reply: i have a clicking with starter