Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Information on Using I-Pod & Memory Stick for Factoy Installed Radio

Old July 24th, 2009, 6:24 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Information on Using I-Pod & Memory Stick for Factoy Installed Radio

#09-08-44-013A: Information on USB Command and Control Multimedia Player Interface/List of Supported Devices - (Jul 23, 2009)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Information on USB Command and Control Multimedia Player Interface/List of Supported Devices</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 GM Full Size Trucks (Pickups and Utilities)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 Buick Allure (Canada), LaCrosse, Enclave</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2010 Cadillac CTS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 Cadillac SRX</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 GMC Terrain</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2009-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 Chevrolet Camaro, Equinox,Traverse</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 GMC Acadia</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2009-2010 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice, Solstice Coupe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2009-2010 Saturn AURA, SKY</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2010 Saturn OUTLOOK</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>All Equipped with Convenience and Connectivity Package - RPOs KTA, KTB, SRJ, UUI, UUJ, UUM, UUN, U2S, U2X, U2Y, UAV, \UYZ, UY5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010 Cadillac SRX and GMC Terrain vehicle as well as to add an imporant statement about MP3 settings. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-44-013 (08 - Body & Accessories - Entertainment).
<HR>USB Radio and MP3 Functionality

The USB (Universal Serial Bus) will be a USB 2.0 port on the radio faceplate, on the IP or in the center console. This interface will give the customer the additional functionality of iPOD/MP3 command and control. Customers now have full radio control of the iPOD/MP3 audio files via the USB cable. A single USB connection allows digital audio transferring from the iPOD to the radio.The customer will also have playback capability with a USB memory stick (only MP3 and WMA files).
Note: Not all memory sticks are supported.
Customers have full radio control of the iPOD/MP3 audio files via the USB cable. A single USB connection allows digital audio transferring from the iPOD to the radio. The iPOD will be charging while connected to the radio.
Note: Video from the iPOD is NOT capable of being transferred to a Navigation radio display.
For the Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Malibu; Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice; and Saturn AURA, SKY, the USB port is on the faceplate of the radio. For all other models, it is located in the center console or IP.
For the Cadillac CTS only, a special iPOD cable (USB and AUX cable) is needed. This special cable comes delivered with the vehicle. In all cases, the iPOD will be charging while connected to the radio through the USB port when the vehicle is running or the RPA is active.
Problems with iPOD Not Connecting

If the infotainment system does not operate properly when using a device connected through the USB port, this may be due to an incompatible media device.
Important: DO NOT replace the radio or multimedia interface module due to a customer device incompatibility issue.
Verify the customer's media device is validated for this system using the list below. If the customer's device is a validated device for this system, follow the SI diagnostic procedure to isolate the fault. If the customer's device is not on the validated device list, explain to the customer that their particular unit is not compatible with the system.Troubleshooting Tips for iPOD Devices
  1. [*]
Validated Apple Device - Both Charge/Support Digital Audio (For All RPOs)

For further information on identifying iPOD models, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Brand
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Name/Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Number
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Apple
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Classic 5 & 5.5 Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Apple
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 1Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 2Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Classic
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Touch 1Gen & 2Gen
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPhone (User must switch to "airplane mode")
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>7
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Nano 4 GEN
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>8
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Other Validated Device-- Both Charge/Support Digital Audio for Buick Lacrosse/Allure, Chevrolet Camaro, Equinox Only (RPO KTA or KTB)

Important: : Must be set to MTP (Mass Transfer Protocol) in the MP3 Player device setting.
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Name/Description
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>SanDisk
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Sansa e280
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Toshiba
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Gigabeat
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Philps
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Philps GoGear
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Sony
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Sony NWZ-A828
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Sony
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Sony NWZ-S616F
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Insignia
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Insignia
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Iriver
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Iriver Clix
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Iriver
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>H10
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Samsung
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>S5J AB/XAA(4GB)
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>T10
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Yepp S5
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Microsoft
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Zune (Gen 1 & 2)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Important: These devices (and additional MP3 players) may be capable of connecting to the other USB options by internally setting the MP3 device to MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode. In this mode, the USB port will see the device as a flash drive. Please have the customer refer to their MP3 device manual on how to set the device to MSC. If the device is not able to be set to MSC, the customer must use the AUX jack.
Note: MTP mode must be used in order to transfer ANY Digital Rights Managment (DRM) protected content.
Non-Validated Apple Device

Important: The following devices are NOT supported by USB interface. Apple does not support digital media transfer from these devices through the USB port. The customer can still listen to their older iPod on vehicle by connecting it to the Auxiliary Input Jack using a standard 3.5mm (1/8 in) stereo cable.

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Number
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Apple
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Shuffle Gen1
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Shuffle Gen2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod mini Gen1&2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Photo
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod G4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Gen3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Gen2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>7
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPod Gen1
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>8
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>iPOD Shuffle Gen 3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>9
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old August 28th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRM in MTP mode on 2010 Equinox

I have several different Sansa Players (e260, clip, fuze and c200).

What I have found is that all CD's ripped to the Sansa's play fine. Some but not all subscription audio plays. When it doesn't play, the radio will show the song, but not play it. Next to the song is an icon that looks sort of like this: |> I.e. sort of a combination of play and pause.

My family uses Best Buy (Rhapsody), Sony Music, and OverDrive Audiobooks, all of which I believe is in DRM WMA format.

Is the 2010 Equinox with USB compatible with all WMA DRM? Is there anything I should specifically check? I will try to narrow down what doesn't play on each Sansa to see if I can find something in common.

UPDATE: It looks like some downloaded songs were transferred to the Sansa's in mp3 format, and those work file. The downloaded songs and books that were transferred to the Sansa's in WMA don't play. CD's ripped in WMA format, having no DRM, do play.

So, it seems to me the issue is WMA with DRM being played via our Sansa's. I see the Sansa e280 listed as validated - I have the 260, the only difference being memory. Well, except possibly the fact that the Sansa's e2xx's came out in a v1 and v2 version.

Anyway, I would love to know if "validated" included verifying that WMA with DRM could be played via the USB port.

Last edited by rjrizzuto; August 29th, 2009 at 9:09 AM. Reason: Update
Old September 2nd, 2009, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default more detail

I did more investigation, and I examined some of the subscription audio that I and my family bought and downloaded via BestBuy music store (with Rhapsody software). The audio was on the PC as a .rax file, which I believe is the Rhapsody format. It was also on the PC as either .mp3 or .wma, which I believe happens during the conversion and transfer to the mp3 player. I guess which format it converted to depended on what the artist/record label requirements were.

I was able to verify that the issue of not being able to play a track via the USB interface is specifically with the .WMA files with DRM - I went back to the PC and verified that the .WMA files that don't play are all DRM'd by loading them into Windows media player, selecting properties, and viewing the license info. The .mp3 files have no DRM, so they play just fine.

The thing that I don't understand is shawnvw's post where he says "Note: MTP mode must be used in order to transfer ANY Digital Rights Managment (DRM) protected content. ". That seems to imply that it is possible to transfer DRM audio. If so, I would love to know what mp3 players support that and/or what specifications to look for when choosing an mp3 player.

Last edited by rjrizzuto; September 2nd, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:03 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the updates on you're experience using this system.
hopefully other chime in here with which MP3 players works for them otherwise you could let the salespeople at best-buy know your critera and let them help you choose one
Old September 4th, 2009, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default play from device

I did some research over at the Ford site, and found this list that has the mp3 devices that support protected content playing via Sync:
http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea...N_iop_1_.2.pdf

I also found info here that says the mp3 player needs to support "Play From Device" for this to work:
http://real.lithium.com/real/board/m...ssage.id=29829

Can someone from Chevy/GM confirm that their radios also use "Play From Device" to play protected content? Ideally they would have a list of compatible mp3 players like Ford does.

I also found this Microsoft document that confirms that "Play From Device" does support this:
<LINK rel=File-List href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Crizzuto%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} span.EmailStyle16 {mso-style-typeersonal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:navy;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6_WinHEC05.ppt

I will do more testing with the players my family and I have. According to the Ford list, the Sansa Clip and Sansa Fuze should work, assuming the firmware is up to date. And assuming that our Equinox is compatible with "Play From Device" as well.
<O>
BTW, the sales folk at Best Buy are not that knowledgeable. Neither were the support folk at Sansa. I also e-mailed chevy at cac@chevrolet.com, and they couldn't tell me anything about what I needed to be able to play protected audio from my mp3 player.
</O>

Last edited by rjrizzuto; September 5th, 2009 at 9:01 AM. Reason: reformat
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

shawnvw
In your post you listed compatability with ipod touch gen 1 & 2 what about gen 3?
I have a new 2010 Suburban and the Ipod has linked 2 times and not linked about 20, can't find and series of actions that will make it work or not. My Iphone works fine.

Any thoughts
Old January 5th, 2011, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

not trying to hijack but just throwing this out there for those who want to keep their factory deck but want ipod control

http://www.usaspec.com/
Old April 17th, 2011, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

I am having problems with USB playback in my 2010 Suburban.
I can play my ipod Nano 3 but there is a static "popping" during playback.
My Ipod touch connects sometimes, but not always. There is also the static "popping" during playback (when it does play) as well.
The system does not play music off of my USB memory stick. I see in the TSB that the system does not support all memory sticks, but does not say what the system does and does not support. Is one supposed to just keep buying sticks until one works?
FWIW both of my ipods and the memory stick play perfectly in my Volvo and I have also used them without issue in a Ford. All updates are applied to the ipods.
I asked my local dealer and the service advisor said "no, I am not aware of any USB issues". LOL.
Can anyone offer advice?
Thanks.

UPDATE:
Well I have managed to get both the ipod and USB flash to play. All it took was another USB stick so I guess some work and some don't (like the bulletin says).
The ipods played with another cable so I tossed the old cable. There is still an issue though in that the ipods can be controlled through the nav touch screen and they do play fine some of the time but sometimes there is a static "popping" sound. It is intermittent and when it does appear, if I pull the usb plug and re-insert it goes away for a time but it does return from time to time. I understand from reading various websites that this is a common complaint with GM units and there is a firmware update that needs to be installed to the vehicle.
Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone had this done and does it work? Can anyone reference a TSB for the update?
Thanks,

Last edited by gofor35off; April 26th, 2011 at 9:14 AM. Reason: Update
Old June 3rd, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

I'm also having problems with trying to get my USB device to work. Can you tell any difference between the one device you got working and the other one that didn't? I read somewhere that they had to be FAT formatted, but that didn't help in my case. I can't even get the car to recognize that it has a USB drive plugged in. I know it works though because I can get my iPhone to work with no issue.

Any ideas?
Old June 3rd, 2011, 4:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Rachelle34,

Have you spoken with your dealership about this issue yet? Is this the first time you have had this issue?

Thank you!
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Information on Using I-Pod & Memory Stick for Factoy Installed Radio