Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

K-5 Blazer Major problem. New to chevys...

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-5 Blazer Major problem. New to chevys...

I just bought a 1994 K-5 Blazer recently. I was told by the owner that a tech told them the compressor is going bad.I was driving tonight and an extremely loud squeek cameout of no where. It proceeded to squeek/squeal and there was a burning smell. I let it set for a few hours and started it back up. The squeek was still there until I drove it for about 1/4 mile. The squeek slowed and all of the sudden the battery light came on and the power steering went out. It was like the truck was losing power.

Would this have something to do with the compressor, idler pulley, fan belt? I drove it all day today and the squeak randomly started happening. I will check for tears/wear on the fan belt in the morning when it's light, but really need help since I have a 2 hour trip ahead of me tomorrow....hopefully. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 13th, 2008, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: K-5 Blazer Major problem. New to chevys...

IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IN THE BELT REGION ... TAKE THE BELT OFF AND TURN ALL YOUR PULLEYS BY HAND AND LISTEN 4 A ROUGH BEARING OR LOOK AT THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY IT MIGHT BLUE FROM OVERHEATING .... COMMOM PROBLEM IS THE ALTERNATOR BEARINGS FAIL ...HOPE THIS HELPS...[&o] JIM
Old February 13th, 2008, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

the compressor could be locking up... is the a/c on when this is happening?

Your best bet is to actually get in the engine bay while the motor is running and look for pullies locking up on you or if the belt is just slipping.

[/align]
Old February 13th, 2008, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

It was actually the compressor/serpentine belt. I posted last night and couldn't tell what had happened since it was dark. I opened the hood this morning and the belt was torn in half which explains the battery indicator light. The burning smell was actually the belt melting since I was driving around in the dark trying to figure out the problem. The compressor seized (I tried spinning all the pullies and the compressor pully was not budging.) and the belt ripped from the tension of the other pullies I'm assuming. I bought a bypass pulleysince I don't really need the air conditioning (This truck is my bomber/DD...and I have a 01 Procharged Mustang GT as my other car I should have her up and running by tomorrow! Thanks for the help guys! Love the new truck