Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

key spins freely in ignition

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2007, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key spins freely in ignition

well i came across a 87 chevy beretta.. ive been bump starting it down the road every morning to get to school because the key turns freely in the ignition. it doesnt spin round and round, but it seems like theres a disconnected wire or wires because it doesnt do anything at all. i know nothing about ignitions, so if anyone knows what this could be, i'd be greatful for the advice. i havent taken it apart or anything yet because i wanted to get advice first.

thanks in advance,

brandon
Old November 26th, 2007, 4:56 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: key spins freely in ignition

wat u mean it doesn't do nething? like when u turn the key on nothin lights up or nething?
Old November 27th, 2007, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

the ignition switch is under the dash on top of the column and controlled by a rod from inside the column. The rack and tumbler set are located inside the column and if you can shut the engine off or turn it on with the key but cannot turn it over the rack and tumbler are ok.
To access the switch you will need to drop the column by removing the lower dash panel and removing the 2 15mm nuts that hold the column up. Caution if you have a column not floor shifter the shift indicator cable on the right side of the column will need to be disconnected first thing EZ 2 see EZ 2 do
once you have removed the 2 15mm nuts you can push the column towards the floor and see ontop of it. the headlight dimmer switch and the ignition switch are both on top and both use rods to control them and the rods will not fall out.
The dimmer switch will have to be removed to access the ignition switch. B4 removing the switch completely loosen it and try to move it to where the engine will crank with the key turned to the crank position. If it cranks then try to adjust the switch to where it works and if it doesnt then replace it.
Note you will have to reset the dimmer switch to where it works when your done and also ignition switches are different for GM cars with tilt wheel and those that don't have tilt.
I have done many of these but I personally would make sure the starter is not getting power first at the small wire on the "R" bolt on the solenoid when the key is turned to the crank position.
I would hate to say its the switch when it could be a fusable link at the starter or maybe the neutral safety switch for that matter.
Old February 28th, 2008, 3:06 AM
CF Beginner

That sounds like a bad ignition switch. I've seen them wear out on the older cars. If its really faulty, you'll have to tear apart the Nology Coolwires Ignition Wire Set or steering column to replace it.