Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

leak in output shaft seals

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak in output shaft seals

I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt. I took my car in to the dealer today to have new brake rotors and pads put on.. and they did an inspection. Everything was in great condition, except they called me and told me they did find a very small leak on both output shaft seals on the transmission. He told me about it, but then later told me they cleaned it and sprayed it off.. and it's not a "real" leak, just some moisture/condensation on it. I'm not sure what to make of this, the first time he talked to me.. he made it sound like a big deal, then the 2nd time I talked to him, he said it probably isn't a big deal unless you're gonna be putting 50-60k on it in the next couple of months. We are driving it on vacation twice over the next few months.. so we want to make sure it's okay to drive. It's $350 and I don't really want to put that out after putting $300 out for brakes, but I would rather do that, than the alternative of needing a new transmission. But because of money, I was hoping to be able to wait until at least July to fix it. Maybe longer! He told me in the 2nd phone call not to worry too much, and I asked him how we could watch it.. he said since we park it in a garge, to just watch for red fluid on the floor of the garage where the car was parked.. and as long as it's not leaking like that, we are fine. Even though he doesn't know how long it would take.. but he figured it would be okay. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks?? I don't want our transmission to go out while we are in the middle of driving to Tennessee (March) or South Carolina(late July).

Thanks so much!

Last edited by mhp8982; February 16th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont worry about it. If it is a major leak it would leave more oil. It is more likely one of the hoses for the power steering system.