Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lifter change in 3100 60 degree V6

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2007, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter change in 3100 60 degree V6

Hey, Im a small block guy normally, but I have a problem with a V6. The car in question is a 97 Lumina with the 3100 V6. Over time it has developed a loud ticking, which Im 99% sure is a collapsed lifter. The car used to belong to my dad, my brother also owns a 97 Lumina which experianced a fire and is a write-off. So we have 2 dead Luminas in our driveway, If I can make one work I can have a daily driver. How hard would it be to swap the lifters from one Lumina to the other. Should I swap the lifters, or do the pushrods and rockers as well? either way I want to know how difficult it would be to remove the lifters without pulling the engine.

The mechanic my dad took it to before he just broke down and bought another car says its probably the cam. But I don't really buy that, as I don't see any reason for a hydraulic roller cam to wear that bad really. But either way if he turns out to be right, is it possible to pull the cam with the engine still in the car? I know in my old third gen Camaro a cam swap didnt require an engine pull.

any insight on the above matters would be appreciated. thanks in advance