Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Light problems

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2007, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light problems

Greetings all, I'm a bit of a newb here as you can see but here goes...

I have a 96 Lumina Sedan which used to be an FBI car. As such, the FBI left her wiring in quite a state, presumably when they ripped the radios and light-bar units out of her. I've already managed to successfully repair the wiring for the bright headlights, but I'm left with other problems still.

Firstly, my blinkers won't come on when I flick the turn signal on. They do work though if I put the hazard lights on, which tells me that (a) the bulbs are ok and (b) the flasher unit is ok too. The other controls on the blinker-stalk work fine --- windshield wipers, cruise control; all are still in working order. I also checked the fuse in the passenger compartment for the turn signals and it's ok. I bought a Haynes manual recently and have been looking through it but it hasn't given me any other troubleshooting ideas other than what I've already tried. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Secondly, my brake lights have now spontaneously stopped working --- all but the centre high-mounted light. Again, I've checked the bulbs and they're fine (filaments look ok, they flash when I put the hazard lights on). The fuse in the passenger compartment is good, and clearly the microswitch in the brake pedal is fine because the centre brake light still comes on when I hit the brakes. Again, does anyone have any ideas what else I could check...?

Many thanks,
Quanta