Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Major transmission damage?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2012, 1:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major transmission damage?

I took my '05 to the local Chevy dealer to get an ATF change and flush. The wife picked it up the next day and drove about 4 miles and noticed major problems. She drove another mile, barely crawling up the hill to make her destination.....Long story short, the black clamp that connects the cooler hose to the transmission cooler came off and all of the ATF leaked out.

I pulled the dipstick and obviously nothing was on it...and it did have a burnt smell to it.

Had it towed back to the dealer. They dropped the pan and found nothing regarding black chunks, metal, etc.

The manager's response was that he wanted to fill it up w/ ATF, reflush, new filter and drive it to make sure it's o.k. He did this, test drove it and said that everything was good to go. They are going to do a de-grease underneath the car and then do another test drive in 2 days. Based on there being nothing showing in the pan, he felt a new tranny wasn't needed....

He's offering a 30 day warrenty on the current tranny and I think this is way too short....I'm thinking at least a year, if not a new one, but they aren't going for it.

Based on my description, how much damage do you think was done to the tranny when the coolant line dumped all of the ATF and what would you ask for to make it right? Obviously damage was done and I feel that they should go above and beyond and not do the minimum.
Old February 25th, 2012, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny problem

You may have caught that one in time, if your wife drove all the way home the tranny would have seized. there may be some minor damage done but not enough to justifiy a new tranny. Keep an eye on the fluid make sure you don't smell burnt fluid. As far as the dealer goes, they are not in the business to lose money, so get everthing in writting and make sure it is documented as to who did the tranny service. If you can get a copy of the orginal service order do so. Have the tranny serviced every third year. I would also send copies of the service and what had happened after the service, to GM so they are aware of your problem. Good luck
Old February 25th, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ATF flush service is not GM's call. Originally the flush machine was intended for flushing crud out of the transmission cooler plumbing. I cringe whenever I hear of pumping the flush solution through the whole transmission. It just makes money for service departments and often precipitates a need for a rebuild. Try negotiating for a 6-month warranty. Anything that can pop up will have popped up by then.
Old February 26th, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Junior Member

When I pulled the dipstick out I did notice a slight burnt smell to it....the Chevy manager said that things probably did get hot in there, so I'm going to push for a year warranty. I'd mentioned that when I last talked to him and he didn't seem thrilled but I think I can get him to do it. I talked to a local mom/pop shop and they said if it happened there that they 'd give me a year.

EinST- I understand your thoughts on flushes....how are you supposed to get worn out fluid out of the torque converter then?

Any other final thoughts before I see the manager tomorrow? I really want to hold them accountable for this screw-up.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Hmm, based on your other thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tra...n-issue-48868/, you noticed some issues with your transmission at 105k miles before this fiasco. A drain-and-fill was all that was needed to see if it made any difference. They should never have recommended a flush service. Often the crud accumulation in the right places is what keeps it in working order. You don't want to dissolve or knock chunks of crud loose with the flush solution. I suspect you'll need a rebuild before the six month is out if not 30 days.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; February 26th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
CF Junior Member

EinST-

That's what my gut is telling me as well. Put yourself in my shoes when you talk to the manager....what do you ask for as far as a warrenty goes? I feel that anything less than 1 year is unacceptable. Anything specific you'd address in the warrenty to cover my rear? I'm pissed enough that I think the tow bill if this thing does blow up should go to them also.

Thoughts?
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Given the mileage and condition it was in, I'm not sure but try to negotiate for a 6-month warranty. Any new issues should be covered. Get everything in writing.
Old March 5th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

EinST-

Long story short.....they offered 30 days, I said minimum 1 year....they didn't argue (surprisingly).

We noticed when we got the car back that shifting from 2nd to 3rd was rough. Fast forward to today....won't shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. Limped 3 miles to the dealer, who is now replacing tranny on their dime
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

Glad to hear. I can't think of a better scenario. You don't have to worry about your transmission for a long while and they learn a lesson. I hope they change their ways, one, not to push unnecessary services, two, not to screw them up.