Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My 2005 Equinox LT AWD

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2014, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My 2005 Equinox LT AWD

I have a 2005 Equinox LT AWD and when I am driving it up a steep grade (about 2 miles long) as I get about two third's the way up it will start to misfire slightly then the check engine light will flash and when I get to the top of the grade it stops flashing. Other then that the car runs great! So anyone have this going on and fixed it?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you have a scan tool check to see which cylinder is misfiring. remove the spark plug for that cylinder and see if the porcelain insulator is cracked. if it is, replace the plug and wire. if you do not have scan tool...check cylinder #5.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

When I am pulling the grade it will start to miss and then the check engine light will flash. When I check it with my scan tool no codes come up. I will check the plugs they are only two months old with maybe 4000 miles on them. I am going to get some Seafoam and may change the fuel filter. Thanks Tech2

Last edited by Twainharteman; November 23rd, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

if the ses light is flashing, misfires are occurring. a factory scan tool or high end scan tool would allow you to see misfire history to isolate the misfiring cylinder.
the engine will be under load when going up hill and this will create an increased spark demand.
there was a problem for these models with cracked plugs. the wire will carbon track so it must be replaced also.

another thing to check would be fuel trim. maybe its running lean?
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if the ses light is flashing, misfires are occurring. a factory scan tool or high end scan tool would allow you to see misfire history to isolate the misfiring cylinder.
the engine will be under load when going up hill and this will create an increased spark demand.
there was a problem for these models with cracked plugs. the wire will carbon track so it must be replaced also.

another thing to check would be fuel trim. maybe its running lean?

I have a high end scanner but for some reason there is no codes when I check. Maybe because the light go's off when I get to the top of the grade when the load is much lower. Thanks I will be checking the plugs.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:56 PM
Super Moderator

the misfire data will be under special functions---misfire history.