Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My camshaft specs

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2009, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My camshaft specs

I did do some reading on cam measurements but is still a little complex to get the meaning of every measurement. If the forum would give some feed back Iwould appreciate it. I hope this image comes out ok.

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default cool diagram gary 1

that diagram does help explain things that is pretty cool. One thing I was confused about is my cam card as two different durations on it. At the top it says advertised duration of 270 and 280. Then at bottom it has duration of 204 and 214. Which numbers are more commonly used.
Old April 26th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again gary. Yeah those numbers have a big difference. I drew just a hand drawn chart like the one in the link just to get an idea of my overlap times. Here is a pic these are not perfectly measured but good enough to get the idea of the difference between the sets of numbers. I am pretty sure I did this right the only thing that gave me pause is that there is a dash next to the intake open and exhaust closed for cam timing of .050 but it is after the number not before it like a negative so I just treated them as normal numbers.

Old April 26th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default edit to my graph thoughts

Ok I double checked My math some and it turns out that the dash is supposed to be a negative. So technically intake does not open before top dead center it opens after it is just marked that way and then the negative mark moves it after. The same thing for exhaust closed is before top dead. So that means I have no top overlap at all and they are both closed for those 11 degrees.