Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My Suburban wont shift!!!

Old September 15th, 2009, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Suburban wont shift!!!

I have a 1990 GMC Suburban with a THM700-R4 tranny in it. It shifts from first to second just fine but wont shift into third or fourth. Reverse is ok too. Fluid and filter were changed about 1500 miles ago. no leaks. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
Old September 15th, 2009, 3:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dubbstar
I have a 1990 GMC Suburban with a THM700-R4 tranny in it. It shifts from first to second just fine but wont shift into third or fourth. Reverse is ok too. Fluid and filter were changed about 1500 miles ago. no leaks. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

welcome dub,..ahhhh the wonderful 700r tranny.....couple questions

1.did it shift into 3rd 4th smoothly before the fluid change/fliter

2.so have you tried to really get on her to make it change?

3.do you hear any strange whinning when in drive?

red
Old September 15th, 2009, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

yea it shifted fine before the fluid change. I was able to get it to shift into 3rd by agressively manually shifting it on a test run after I posted. I was unable to check for 4th though. I havent heard any whining.
Old September 15th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Senior Member

dub do you know if the shop flushed it or just changed fluid/filter?
Old September 15th, 2009, 4:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm just getting the most obvious thing out of the way first. Sometimes it takes a while to completely refill the tranny properly after a filter change.

Have you checked the fluid level lately?
Old September 15th, 2009, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knowing what kind of trans it is and the age I can guess the mileage is high, the trans is probably done. Check the kick down cable make sure it is attached to the throttle body. If it does not have a kick down cable then there is a switch on the gas pedal assembly. I have only seen the switch 1 time (must be kind of rare) (if I remeber right it was not a 700) on a older Chevy flat bed pick up. I think it cause similar symptoms. If above checks out fine (including the fluid level as stated above) then you need a trans.
Old September 15th, 2009, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

I changed the fluid and filter myself. I know about 4-5 quarts gets left in the torque converter, but I put an extra magnet in the pan and dumped 6 new quarts of blood in it. The transmission was shifting beautifully for about 1500 miles, until last night. I pulled over at a citgo and the first thing I checked was the trans. fluid and it was ok.
Old September 15th, 2009, 6:22 PM
CF Senior Member

MD,will debris in the clutches cause this problem?
Old September 15th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myotherchevyisablazer
MD,will debris in the clutches cause this problem?
I do not do any internal trans work so I can not say. However if you are getting to will a flush help, then the answer is no. A flush usually will not fix a problem because by the time it occurs the damage is done.
Old September 15th, 2009, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Alright so here is the latest update on my transmission problem..... I just happen to have one tempermental bowtie! haha! Taking myotherchevyisablazer's advise I decided to really show her whos boss. I put it in overdrive and then put the pedal to the floor. 1-2-3-4 just like that. So, im guessing that maybe it was something with the kickdown cable. Is there a way to adjust that? I know it cant be she just didnt want to come home last night. Could this be a sign of a future problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Suburban wont shift!!!