Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My Suburban wont shift!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2009, 9:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what i like to hear.....sometimes they need a little extra love(still doesn't sound right though..is it shifting back to normal?or is the only way to get her to shift is to get on her(not a good sign)....pm sent on tv adjustment...

red
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i did the corvette servo on my 4l60e last friday, it wouldnt go into drive and so i drove it to my destination to find a trans fluid trail following me. the snap ring that holds the servo in came loose and when it wanted to shift to 4th, the piston/servo pushed fluid into the area but it leaked out. you say there arent any leaks. sounds like something is sticking inside. maybe... now this is just going from my little time in my trans class. but sounds like a spool valve is sticking. it happens more in fords than gm due to how the fluid breaks down and causes the varnish to get sticky. but. it sounds like when your gunning it the line pressure gets up enough and the governor is opening enough to push that valve over. they are supposed to "snap" back and forth giving you good shifts. thats what it sounds like to me. i could be right for your case or i could be way off. but. keep in mind that if it is just a spool valve. its a reletavely cheap part to fix rather than a whole unit/trans. if i were you and i found out that my spool valve was sticky. id go call a trans shop. ask how much to put a shift kit in, as they disassemble the valve body anyway. and mention about your issue. if that is the issue. and they will clean it out, and new shift kit installed and sweet! i got my trans fixed AND it shifts like a champ. just my 2.3 cents.
Old September 18th, 2009, 6:48 PM
nub
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dubbstar
I have a 1990 GMC Suburban with a THM700-R4 tranny in it. It shifts from first to second just fine but wont shift into third or fourth. Reverse is ok too. Fluid and filter were changed about 1500 miles ago. no leaks. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
could be the 3-4 clutch is burned our
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that could be an issue. but remember that a band doesn;t just up and fail. it slowly starts slipping and then gets worse and if its slipping the new fluid can make it better or just point out how much your band is dead. but he said that the trans JUST started missing only up until he pushes the gogo pedal down. meaning it sounds more like hydraulics. if it was a burned band it wouldnt matter how hard u hit that pedal it would slip because your servo, or accumulator is pressurized by fluid, then forces a rod up and tightens the band. going back to what i said earlier, sounds hydraulic. and lets hope for the mans pocket it isnt a blown band. u can fix a valve body and most hydraulic issues with trans in car, u cant fix a dead band in the car. hehe.
Old September 20th, 2009, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Well first off I just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted with advice. The tranny shifts properly for the most part now. Every once in a while it wants to act up, but i just get into it and it shifts. None of the bands are slipping just to get that out there. I haven't tried adjusting the TV Cable yet but after reading Cam 98 Silverado's post I am almost wondering if that's the problem since it only does it every once in a while now.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
CF Senior Member

we should be thanking you dub,thank you for keeping us informed on the issue with the wonderful 700r.....keep an eye on her as she may want to leave you stranded one day....or save for that special new tranny in the future...red