Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need some advice, please and thank you!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2009, 2:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need some advice, please and thank you!

My girlfriend has 99 Camaro, 6 cyclinder, automatic.

We were cruising on the highway and suddenly got a pretty bad vibration and the check engine light came on and began flashing.

Limped to the auto parts store and got the codes pulled.

PO300 random misfire
P1404 emission controls

I bought some lucas injector cleaner and drove it around today. It runs really rough at idle and smooths out after acceleration. There is also a big loss of power too.

I replaced the plugs and wires less than a year a go and didn't see any visible damage to the any of the wires. Is there any way to pinpoint which cylinder is misfiring?

I've done a little research tonight and read about the EGR being clogged as a possible cause, thoughts/opinions?

I think the P1404 code is accuring because their is unburned fuel dumping on the o2 sensor, or at least thats what I am hoping. Would a bad o2 sensor cause the misfire?

I'm really limited on funds right now and am trying to be as smart and frugal as I can be dealing with this problem. Your advice and time are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

My wifes 97 cavalier had a similar problem. Misfiring to the point I was afraid to drive it and throwing the P14xx codes. It ended up being a vaccum line that had dry rotted and broke in two. I replaced a couple of the vaccum lines and cleared the codes and haven't had any problems since.

Your problem may not be the same, but it would be free to check. I would inspect all the lines running into the intake and sensors.

Good luck.
Old November 4th, 2012, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 camaro torque converter problems

2012 camaro torque converter problems