Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

distributor and timing

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2012, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor and timing

Hello I have a 1999chevy suburban 350 1500,v-8,2wheel Dr... had trouble from the get go with starting in wet conditions,then one day it idled very rough then died. So I then proceeded to take the intake manifolds off,cleaned them checked the lifters. Valves and block. Replaced the ignition coil, distributor (not the cap just the rotor) replaced the fuel body meter with the updated one, checked the resistance to the wires and finally putting it back together setting the ignition rotor at #1 and T.D.C.. Now it started right up but sounded like the timing was off so I hooked up a timing gun and the timing mark is way off(60° mark) I tried to adjust the rotor but it shocked the hell out of me,,also noticed the distributor cap was arcing (small sparks) on the top.also the number 4 is not sparking correctly.
The two questions I have is why is the rotor cap arcing and how do you set the timing mark on this engine with this particular cap.

please don't reply " is the cap cracked" or " check the spark plug wire" I believe this goes deeper then simple maintenance but simple as moving a wire. But I dont know, that's why I'm here. So if if anyone has had this same problem please help. P.s I do know the distributor cap can throw a punch but this one seems overkill

Last edited by meetmonk; March 11th, 2012 at 6:51 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old March 11th, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Distributor and Timing

The timing is not adjustable. Work backwards and check your work. Why didn't you replaced the distributor cap? When you removed the lower intake manifold you had to have removed the whole distributor assembly, The #1 cylinder should have been at top dead center. The distributor cap removed, when you pulled the distributor was the rotor pointing a #1 spark plug wire on the distributor? You should have made a mark (#1) where it lines up, next when you pulled the distributor the rotor should have moved as you pulled up on the distributor. Where the rotor stops you put another mark (#2). Install the distributor whith the rotor lined up with #2 mark. The rotor will move to #1 mark. If that was what you did then check the wires you might have the wires in the wrong place, on top of the distributor cap are the cylinder numbers. Good luck
Old March 12th, 2012, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

The rotor is at top dead Center and I did mark it,also used my finger to double check compression. So the time is set. Now what do thou mean I cant adjust the distributor does that mean its self adjusting. Hear id my question "can the number plug being out cause the timing to be off,and I did replace the cap it was just expensive, but still the same thing,(arcing) could it also be the coil.cause I don't have any crossed wire cause this problem accurd before,also when it rains there is no chance of getting it started is the something that could get wet and maybe cause this.thanks#)
Old March 12th, 2012, 4:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Distributor and Timing

OK, did you replace the plug wires? Is the check engine light on? If so, what are the codes? It's so hard to diagnose these problems without actually doing any test.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Ok even though my pride got the best of me I went ahead and changed the wires, wich I tested and observed over and over, anyways it fixed the problem. Turns out the number 2 wire had a short that couldn't be seen and was jumping numer 4 causing the misfire(I'm guessing!?)( discovered this by tuning my hand down it) but who knows it could of been when i got mad and kicked it! runs awesome now, so thanks evens906 for the reply, otherwise I wouldn't have double guessed myself.