Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

The new guy just sharing my project.

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2007, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new guy just sharing my project.

Quick note I posted this on another forum but as I stated in the section that is for the new guys I didn't feel as if I fit in there. I am much happier with this site and already feel welcome. Thank You.

Here the deal I have some pretty big plans for my 99 Blazer 4x4. Currently its tan with tan interior. Its an LS although its pretty well equipped.
First off I am well aware of what is listed below and yes I am aware of the cost of undertaking a project like this. I am NOT a millionare (I Wish) but I am not. I am currently in school an only have a few weeks left. I am going to take a break and work full time for a while and build my savings back up. I am going to be taking what I call baby steps and little by little as I can afford to purchase additional parts I will add more mods. I also am well aware that there are things that will have to wait awhile due to cost and the fact that it cannot be done until other things are finished. It will also be done in phases. The reason I listed pretty much everything is so that you can make a desicion based off everything maybe this will help steer me in the right direction if you guys think I am making a mistake with something. I have no problem with acception constructive critsism(No Bashing Please) I am working very hard to make myself proud of my
truck.

Phase 1 (Strictly checking the rig over and fixing things that have to be fixed before other things can be done.

*Rebuild transmission (I know it slips and needs attention, when rebuilt it will have a B&M shift kit).
*Replace ball joints (A couple in the front are shot)
*Replace CV shaft Boots and seals (Seals leak, I will also inspect the shafts for damage and replace as needed).
*Check entire front end for wear and replace pieces as necessary.
*Possibly change front and rear gears to 3.73 but I am not sold on the idea I think the stock 3.42s will due (inspect
axles).
*Inspect engine and rebuild if necessary.

Phase 2
*2” Body Lift
Torsion bars sag (may replace)
Transfer case makes a little noise (with mileage may rebuild).
*Might replace radiator (had to fix once, cheap insurance)
*Every hose will be replaced
*Tires will be 30"x 9.5" to a 33" tire but due other factors list below I am unsure but I have it narrowed down to either a BFG AT, BFG MT or a Cooper STT. I looked at a BFG AT that I think was 235/75R15 and I am hoping that a 30" plus would have a deeper tread.

Phase 3
*Replace stock
exhaust manifolds with tubular short style headers (emissions legal)
*Install a high-flow cat
*Change
exhaust as I am not real happy with Flowmaster and I think Magnaflow sounds better.
*Throttle Body Upgrade (as to size and if its something I am even going to do I don't know.
*Mass Airwill be swapped for a better performance unit.
*CAI w/ K&N Filter
*ECU programmer (Hypertech, Superchips or other) Suggestions?
*Clean up the rust on the underside and clean up driveshafts.

Phase 4
*Do light body work doesn't need much as there are only two (very tiny spots of rust.
*Paint entire body Copperhead Metallic

Here is a link if you would like to see the color.
http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?em2...s&ek=96289
*Install body color 2000-up grill.
*I am planning on all the chevy emblems and trim that is now black will be camo.

*Install a roof rack mount for a spare tire (undecided and not really sure yet.
*Fabricate a set of front and rear steel bumpers (if I can't find them to just buy).
*Install fog lights and backup lights current factory backup lights suck.
*Tubular Mounts for front and rear shackles, if not mounted on the bumpers.
*Towing hitch
*Trans cooler (although sitting here thinking it will probably be done in phase 1.
*Skid Plates Currently steel one is in front already and plates will be made for transmission transfer case and gas tank. All painted body color.
*Edit I think I will use diamond plate for the front and steel everywhere else. Same above though powder coated body color.

Last phase interior
*All interior will be black (I hate the tan color.
*Seats will be re-upholstered in black leather with two horse shoes in orange in the head rest part.
*My dash will be totally black except for the vents that will be body color.
*A/C and heat ***** will be stainless steel that I will have powder coated body color.
*The Chevy emblem on the steering wheel will be body color.
*Stainless steel gauges will be install and all dash lighting will be orange, the pointers on the gauges will be silver.
*If I can find an aftermarket tach that the face is orange I will install it as I don't think the factory on is quite accurate.
*Diamond check Stainless panel floor mats will be used.
*I will keep the factory radio although I think I will replace the speakers (I will cross that bridge when I get there). As long as I can stilljam(not blast) mymusic I see no since in changing.
*Tint Driver and Passenger side window (leagally)
Like I said I know this is a big project and I know how much money its going to take (A LOT) and I know it won't happen over night. I know I didn't put parts brand but that because frankly I am still research and trying tofind parts to fit my truck. I am alsocontemplating a 4”-6” suspension lift, but frankly I have not made up my mind. Some parts I have already have a pretty good idea that it will be the one used. All I am looking from you guys is some of your knowledge if you have used a particular part that fits into what I am doing tell me what it is and how do you like it. If you have a part that you hate tell me why. It doesn't have to be ingreat detail. Since there is so much money involed in a project of thisscale over hopefully the next2 to 3 years,that is why I am looking to you guy that have be messing with your blazers longer than I have, you guys know what works and what doesn't. Constructive input welcome. Any input, ideas or encuragement will be greatly appreciated.Again sorry this is so long but I figure to make a good input you need to know everything. Thanks Zach

[font="courier new"][size=2]BTW I know that alot of you are thinking "Damn that a ton of labor", but I plan on doing at least 90% of the work myself and with the help of my dad and a couple of friends. It would not only serve as a great learnin
Old October 4th, 2007, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: The new guy just sharing my project.

I have a 97 blazer 225,000 miles,and a 95 s-10 ZR2 120,000 miles, Big tip ReplaceALL of the BUSHINGS.
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Got a lot going on, take some pics to document your progress. You'll appreciate it more! Good luck with the restoration.
Old October 8th, 2007, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

I was planning on doing the piture thing and since I really don't plan on starting tillafter christmas, I hope to get a digital camera. JffginI wasjust sitting herelast night thinkingof the bushings.