Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

new truck= questions

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck= questions

hey all. i'm new to the forum and fairly new to Chevy. i just bought a 83 toyota with a 350, 700r4 and detroit locked dana 60 rear ( soon to be dana 44 front). basically a project rig. the 350 has a holley 500-600 cfm double pumper with an electronic choke, Edelbrock manifold, stock exhaust manifolds, msd points ignition, and a 7 quart oil pan. the guy i bought it from wasnt very knowledgable or helpful so most of this ive had to find out for myself. he did say that the engine was rebuilt 3-4k miles ago but has sat for 3 years since. As far as internal buildup, i really dont know yet. its running roughly 300 hp i would estimate, but its turning 37" boggers so i could be wrong.
the only problem ive noticed so far is that the oil pressure seems very high. as high as 80 psi cold when running at about 50. when warmed up its at about 60-70 at about 2500 (cruising speed ) and 30 - 40 at idle. is this dangerously high ? i know its far above avereage.
my culprits are 1. supposedly newly rebuiold engine so tolerances could be extremely tight ? not too likely though. 2 the oil pressure regulation spring is either too stiff or jammed up. 3. the oil was water contanimated meaning there could be sludge creating a blockage. ill know soon because im going to put some sea foam in to try and clean it out.
any imput will be greatly appreciated. i am just getting aquianted with Chevy and have alot to learn.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would defnately change the oil! That is a must for a truck that sat for three years.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be that your oil pressure gauge is faulty...

You will want to change all the fluids if you have not done so already. Being freshly rebuilt, I doubt that the engine will be very dirty unless it wasn't cleaned in rebuild.
Old August 18th, 2009, 2:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Definately, Change all fluids.. even the brake fluid lol. May sound dumb, but with it being new, and the relatively cheapness of the fliuds, just do it and make sure it's done right. You can always try a new oil pressure gauge, and make sure all connections are solid, as not to give a faulty reading. Do you know if the engine was broken in properly or not? Might be worth wild to take a do your own "break in procedure" and make sure it has some sort or break in done.

Just my .002 cents, adjusted for inflation. lol.
Old August 18th, 2009, 5:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Default chevota

quote;;;and detroit locked dana 60 rear ( soon to be dana 44 front). basically a project rig....deigo you have my attention on your project...cool start to a very reliable trail rig...seen many yotas converted to chevy....i would like if you have some pics of your project..front & rear axles, motor..a very popular swap into those is a dana 60 kingpin front /and a chevy 14 bolt full floater for the rear...the 44 is strong but not much stronger then a 10 bolt....ive personally ran a toyota of mine with stock axles and took it places fullwidth axle guys dared to go...stock yota setups with some tweeks can be very relaible...not trying to talk you out of going fullsize ....let see that ride
Old August 18th, 2009, 8:38 PM
CF Veteran

Default pressure

hi would hazard a guess that you have a hi volume oil pump as the engine is some what built up .my 2.8 s-10 has one and runs 80 psi cold 50 psi warm w-10w30 .i wasn't satisfied with the 10 psi factory spec.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Active Member

i find it worth it to spend a little extra money on the better brands ie royal purple. use brands with good names as they tend to pay for themselves.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the replies. i should have mentioned that i changed the oil before i even drove it off the guys property. ill be doing another change as soon as ive worked the sea foam thru the system for a bit. im planning on doing 3 oil changes before i drive it any extended distances to make sure i cleaned out all the crap thats accumulated. oil pressure sensor is definitly a good idea to check. ill have the oil pan off in the next couple days hopefully, so ill know if its a hi volume pump.

ill put some pics up as soon as i can. i would love to have a dana 60 front end but im in college so this will definitly be a budget buildup the 44 i got from a 80,s 3/4 chevy that my buddy killed and decided to part out. got it for only 200 bucks and it had the right gears already ( 4.10) so i couldnt pass it up. the truck body weighs almost nothing so it should hold up well enough.

ill have alot more info to work with once i tear the engine down a bit, just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing to do any damage by running it at such hi pressure for a bit. thanks all
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

You could make a thread and make it a work log. That would keep us updated on your progress and you could even post work pics. Just an idea tho =p. Up to you to use it or not, as it can be a bit tedious to keep updated.

P.s. Good luck on your studies this year. Hope you succeed in school and don't give up =p.

Last edited by Wastehog; August 19th, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Grammar lol.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

jus put up the pics i took when i first bought it. looks a bit better now . yeah a work log sounds like a much easier way to keep everyone up to date, thanks! oh and as far as break in, he didnt say but most of the miles were highway if that helps at all. ive been told more different ways than i can remember how to break in an engine so im not very knowledgeable about that

Quick Reply: new truck= questions