Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

No Spark

Old March 3rd, 2008, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark

So here goes. I have a 1971 GMC custom camper pick up truck. The last time I started the truck around 4 months agoI had no problem with it. My Cap rotor and coil were all brand new. I went to start the truck yesterday and it will not kick over. I am not getting any kind of spark at all. I install a HEI distrubter a while back yesterday I changed the coil thinking that would solve all my problems but I was wrong. I'm not even getting any gas is that because of no spark? Could it be the module in the HEI. PLease help if I was not bald I would be now!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 7:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: No Spark

probably bad fuel pump because no spark would not cause no fuel
Old March 5th, 2008, 3:20 AM
CF Beginner

No spark at all can be a bad coil, ignition control module, or crankshaft position sensor...

Good luck!

I have a Acura CL and I replace/install a new Acura CL distributor cap on it and it works,so maybe you shuold check your distributor cap, also make sure the rotor is in good condition.
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
rms
CF Junior Member

The older Chevy trucks have a mechnical fuel pump. This means that you wont get any fuel unless the motor is turning over. Also 99 times out of a hundred the fuel pump will leak gas dripping to the ground when going bad. The HEI distributer coil is a great choice. It will eliminate the point bounce at high rpms and delivers 5 - 6 times the voltage of the stock coil.

Not sure... Are you saying that the truck won't turn over or that it doesn't fire when turning over?

When did you install the HEI? before or after the problem?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter?