Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

OBD codes and fixes

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD codes and fixes

I have used the thread to find my codes, but now need to find the fixes. Is ther a post for this?
Old December 8th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some codes have different fixes, post your codes, if you haven't already, and we will try to help.
Old December 8th, 2009, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

i have. thank you
Old December 8th, 2009, 3:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
Some codes have different fixes, post your codes, if you haven't already, and we will try to help.

P0430 cat, below threshhold, bank 2.
P0171 system to lean bank 1 and 2.

saw these from his other post .....i think these are the codes he's talking about
Old December 8th, 2009, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

thanks myother.
Old December 8th, 2009, 4:18 PM
CF Senior Member

not a problem james! hopefully more will chime in on this subject....good luck though

red
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always like to go by first gut feeling. my gut says the apple i ate was tasty. and the other thought is O2 sensors. doing a quick goooooogle search. i come up with (code pO171) some lean symptoms. coming from a few sources. now. my first idea with this information is to ask how your MAF looks. is it dirty? if so. clean it with proper MAF cleaner found at a local parts store. be careful of the electronics in the MAF housing. see if that clears the codes. if not. check the pcv system for any leaks, clogs. check the valve itself. see what that does for ya. hopefully its a simple fix.

as for code PO430, doing another goooogle search. i find that some say its a fried cat. but what determines the cat being good or bad is the up and down stream O2 sensors. what i would say. is get some new sensors. put them in before the cat. but before that. i would follow the first paragraphs steps and my thought is it will fix the issue. i want to bet that your running a wee rich. and thus causing the O2 sensors to get angry and your cat is now having to try and burn teh extra gas in the exhaust and it can't so it throws codes saying cat tried but failed. so try all that. see what happens.
Old December 9th, 2009, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

im always up for the cheapest way, so i wil try the air sensor (although ive cleaned it a few times before, because i used to run a K&N filter and was told that if you over oil it it will dirty up the air sensor) and it seemed to clear the code at that time.as for the PCV, i need to replace anyway so i will do that and inspect system.and as for the O2 sensors, i probably need to replace anyway seems how ive go 200,000 miles. whats a resonable $ on the O2 sensors, and should i get them from a dealer?thanks for the info, will treat and post.
Old December 9th, 2009, 4:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The cheapest way is to always be well-informed, and do the repair right the first time.

Unfortunately,information on fixes will require thread searches, but it's been my experience that it pays off handsomely. This site, Google, and other sites have a lot of information to share which can minimize the proper repair cost.