Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Odd Electrical Issues and P0441

Old October 31st, 2009, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Electrical Issues and P0441

I'm at a lost here. I have a 99 Chevy Prizm (beater) and if I push the cigarette lighter in the front window wont roll down...........but it only happens sometimes. My battery terminals keep corroding and the battery is only 6 months old. I have had to clean the terminals 5x in the past 3 months.

Now I'm throwing p0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.

I'm not sure if these issues could be related, but I'm not sure where to start checking.
Old October 31st, 2009, 4:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Hey SC300,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Change your evaporative canister filter, check to see all evap tubing is not blocked.
If you're overfilling your car at the gas pump(usually you can tell by the strong smell of gas inside the vehicle when you're driving away from the pump) the canister may be filling with gas, also contributing to the problem.

More than likely the problems aren't related.

When you say the battery is only six months old, where did you get it. Are the cables corroded and in need of replacement? Does the battery get wet or condensate?
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rivereye
Hey SC300,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Change your evaporative canister filter, check to see all evap tubing is not blocked.
If you're overfilling your car at the gas pump(usually you can tell by the strong smell of gas inside the vehicle when you're driving away from the pump) the canister may be filling with gas, also contributing to the problem.

More than likely the problems aren't related.

When you say the battery is only six months old, where did you get it. Are the cables corroded and in need of replacement? Does the battery get wet or condensate?
I bought the battery brand new from Autozone, it is a Duralast Gold, the battery terminals are getting corroded more than the wires. The battery is not getting wet........... condensation I'm not sure of but I could be wrong.

I never fill the car up I only fill it up half way so I'm sure its not getting over filled. How can you tell if the Canister Filter needs to be changed?

Update at 11:21PM: What the hell............I just went out to my car and the CEL is off now. I took my code reader and it is still stored but the light is off.

Last edited by SC300; October 31st, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 1:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They don't cost much, if your vehicle is throwing the code, and your canister has one, it would probably be wise to just change it.

Is it possible the battery is leaking acid onto the cable ends? Generally speaking, left to their own, battery cables and ends take much longer than six months to corrode.

Are you in an extreme sea-salt environment? Parked in an area with extremely humid conditions?