Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2009, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Oil leak.

So I have an oil leak that I can not find!!! It leaks a puddle the size of a dollar bill overnight. The weird thing is I just replaced my Rear main seal and Oil pan gasket. I also noticed it drips on my Slave cylinder which would mean it is also on my passenger side of the vehicle. Also there are some drips on my exhaust manifold. Where could this be coming from. It wouldnt be my Head gasket or there would be water in my oil right? And Valve cover would not leak that bad would it? Thanks' guys!
Old July 13th, 2009, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
So I have an oil leak that I can not find!!! It leaks a puddle the size of a dollar bill overnight. The weird thing is I just replaced my Rear main seal and Oil pan gasket. I also noticed it drips on my Slave cylinder which would mean it is also on my passenger side of the vehicle. Also there are some drips on my exhaust manifold. Where could this be coming from. It wouldnt be my Head gasket or there would be water in my oil right? And Valve cover would not leak that bad would it? Thanks' guys!
I am thinking the valve cover gasket or the head gasket, but yes, normally you would have all kinds of other problems if it was the head gasket.
Old July 13th, 2009, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator

Actually I took a closer look and what I thought was oil on the manifold was black plastic melted. And I looked and it looks like my oil Filter adapter is leaking. I am looking but no one can find just the gasket. I think it has a paper gasket and then a rubber O-ring can anyone confirm this?
Old July 13th, 2009, 6:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it has a paper gasket and then a rubber O-ring can anyone confirm this?
Yes that is exactly what it is. The dealer sells it all in one bag for less than $20.00.
Old July 13th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator

Actually took another look at it and it is all over everything, Oil filter, bottom of oil pand and bolts, Slave cylinder. Where else could this be coming from?
Old July 13th, 2009, 9:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean everything off with brake clean or carb cleaner start the truck up and watch for the leak. If everything is that wet then you should be able to find the leak after it runs for a few minutes. Is the brake fluid level low in the clutch reservoir
Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, Suzuki Guy, Captain Obvious here.

I've seen about a billion(OK, 63,952) old PCV valves go bad, then the pressure builds up under the valve covers, and viola! Leaky valve covers! You are probably well aware of this, but is it possible that you have a defective NEW PCV valve which is causing you this grief?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

When I shake my PCV valve I can here a rattle which means it is good right?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I shake my PCV valve I can here a rattle which means it is good right?
Yeah, if you can hear it shaking around pretty good in there it should be good. They go bad when they get restricted and can't move.

As far as your valve cover question, you can have them leak that bad. I just did valve cover gaskets on a friends 95 Regal. The back one was leaking so bad that the car would smoke driving down the road from oil dripping down onto the exhaust.

I would either go for your oil filter mount or the valve covers. Like its already been said, the best way to check for leaks is to clean everything off real good and then watch to see if you can see where its coming from.....or just let it run for 10 minutes and come back out and follow the oil line from where it leaked. I wouldn't do brake cleaner though cause it can get expensive.....a can of brake cleaner doesn't go very far, especially if your motor is excessively dirty. Just get yourself a pressure nozle for your garden hose and some de-greaser to clean the entire motor while you're at it.

Are you sure that you installed the rear main correctly?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes pounded one peice rubber seal evenly with a board and put rtv on the other one gasket and torqued it to speck.

Quick Reply: Oil leak.