Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

old school hydraulic valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2007, 6:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old school hydraulic valve adjustment

A feeler gauge for hydraulic lifters? WHY? A definate necessity for solid lifters but not for hydraulics.
Want to save some time adjusting your valves the old school way? Try this way instead.
Simply snug each rocker arm down to where the push rod just becomes to snug to turn with your fingers. Turn the motor over by hand or cranking it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and check the rockers again. Snug any loose ones and turn it over again and again until you are satisfied all are snugged.
Start your motor and one at a time back off the rocker nut until the lifter starts a definate ticking then resnug it until the ticking stops. Do all the valves then while its still running turn each rocker nut 1/4 turn tighter then go back and give each one another 1/4 turn. DONE
Just because someone is going to try turning the rocker nut a full half turn at once to save time I will warn you nothings going to break but it will hold the valve open to wide and to long and will most likely kill the motor and make it harder to start during the rest of the valve adjustment. John
Old February 8th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing the other way (the one in the Chilton's book) I did it your way and it runs fine. Why do they say to turn it 1 time and why doesn't that work?
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve adj

I do it basicly the same only I SLOWLY turn the nut down the half turn giving the motor time to smooth out before going on to the next one.That way you only have to go over them once. Been doin it this way since 1954.
Old February 9th, 2011, 4:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1954?????????????????????/ Holy Schmit!!!!!!!!!!