Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2008, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

I am new to the site and hoping that someone has either had the same problem or has a suggestion on what to do. I have a 96 S-10 Blazer and it has developed an overheating problem. This has started a couple of days ago. My dad who was in radiator business has been working with me on this. The radiator is a year old, new water pump, new thermostat, new clutch fan, upper radiator hose is fairly new. Flushed the system yesterday as well as put the new clutch fan on. It was okay coming back from my dad's and then this morning I took it to wash it and on the way home, it started overheating again. We haven't yet checked the timing, but I just don't know what else to do. Any ideas from anyone?? Thanks

Kevin
Old October 29th, 2008, 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Overheating

Are you running a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water? If you're running straight on either one, it will overheat.
Old October 29th, 2008, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

"If the cooling system is low on water, the highest parts of the engine tend to overheat, causing the head to warp and the head gasket to blow out through the gaps left by the warping.
Old November 1st, 2008, 2:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You mention replacing everything on the system but the one item with a sealing surface AND moving parts. Have you replaced the radiator cap? The gasket in the cap forms a set, or cracks, pressure in the system goes to zero and you're overheating. Depending on the area in which you live, use the minimum of antifreeze you need, because it's the water that's doing the cooling. Race cars which get pulled apart at the end of the race run 100% water, and I would too, if I could get away with it.