Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

OVERHEATING ! ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 2:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERHEATING ! ! ! !

i was wondering if anybody could help me. i got a 2005 chevy express van. 3500 with the 6.0 engine in it. anytime i hook up my trailer to it, it starts to overheat. but anytime i'm driving without it, it runs like a champ. i've added a pusher fan on it. it helped a little bit. anytime it is hotter than 90 degrees outside, and i'm towing, the van starts to run super hot. any ideas on why it does this? the dealer has no idea why. i was thinking either the thermostate, water pump, or even a cracked head gasket. but like i said. it runs like a champ when i'm not towing. no leaks, did a pressure test and it passed with no problems. so if anybody has any ideas. let me know. thanks so much

phil
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: OVERHEATING ! ! ! !

I had similar probs and replaced radiator, water pump, thermo...(all needed BTW)

Determined thatthe problem was recurring when outside temp was exceeding 100 degrees (Vegas)...

Finally it was determined that the FAN CLUTCH was not engaging when the temperature got hot...

The problem was at any stop light the engine temp just started to climb topping at 240+ but staying shy of the redline

My Rig: 1993 2500 454 4x4 towing package silverado.

I replaced the exhaust with FLOWMASTERS and get 13-15 mpg on the road (75mph+/2200rpm+) 10-11 city if I take off slowly...allowed the engine to breath easier and sounds great~!

[/align]
[blockquote][/blockquote]
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

a bit more info...4 U

My fan clutch retail $195...cost $107
repair time 15-20 min. off, 20 min back on

a 350 stock crate engine FAN CLUTCH at PepBoys about 60 bucks...

good luck...

[/align]
Old July 12th, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

you know what, i actually replaced the fan clutch. but it still does the same thing.
Old January 21st, 2022, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Overheating!!!

Originally Posted by xphilx
i was wondering if anybody could help me. i got a 2005 chevy express van. 3500 with the 6.0 engine in it. anytime i hook up my trailer to it, it starts to overheat. but anytime i'm driving without it, it runs like a champ. i've added a pusher fan on it. it helped a little bit. anytime it is hotter than 90 degrees outside, and i'm towing, the van starts to run super hot. any ideas on why it does this? the dealer has no idea why. i was thinking either the thermostate, water pump, or even a cracked head gasket. but like i said. it runs like a champ when i'm not towing. no leaks, did a pressure test and it passed with no problems. so if anybody has any ideas. let me know. thanks so much

phil
try changing your fan clutch that is your problem.towing is when you would notice your fan clutch is weak. Fan clutch cools down your engine.towing on a bad clutch would cause to run hot and you would drive fine not towing