Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Please help!!! Can an oil leak test damage air intake gasket?

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!! Can an oil leak test damage air intake gasket?

I was wondering if anyone knows if an oil leak test can cause an air intake gasket to fall off or become damaged. My wife took our 2000 Suburban to an Oil change place (Oil Can Henry's) and after they changed the oil they performed a leak test. Not sure what was involved, but she said they really revved the engine up. They did not tell her what they were doing, but apparently the RPM's went so high that she was a quite startled (They let you wait in the car while they do their work, so she was in the car while they did this).

Anyway after the oil change and leak test shedrove the car for the day,and, then,over the holidays we did not use it. After the holidays, the very next timeshe started it, the engine sounded funny and the checkengine light on thedash came on.Anyway, we took it to the shop and theydeterminedthat the air intake gasket needed to be replaced. After almost $700, wegot it fixed.

While I am not so experienced with working on cars, my father-in-law is very knowledgeable about cars and does all the work on his work truck and his own vehicles. He even strips down and rebuilds old ford tractors. Anyway, he said that it was likely that the leak test damaged the gasket because to do this they stop something up to increase the pressure for purposes of finding the leak. He said it was more likely if they increased the rmps too high, which, from what my wife said they really revved up.

Anyway, we called the oil change place and stated our concerns and the man at theoil shopsaid that this was not even possible for the leak test to have damaged the air intake gasket. Hesaid they do this all the time and have never had a problem. He was going to speak with someone higher up and call us back. I just wanted to get some feed back from others so that I can determine whether or not damage was possible from their test.

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 1:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please help!!! Can an oil leak test damage air intake gasket?

anything that causes excessive preesure could cause it but i have never herd of doing an oil leak test i always look under my vehicle when apraching it in a parking lot and as i back out of a parking space i notice where i was parked sounds like a gimmick to take peoples money plus anyone that would abuse my engine that way would get a good chewing out by me hope i was some help i just hate ripoff joints that is why i change my on oil