Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Please help me, im at the end of my rope

Old May 24th, 2009, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help me, im at the end of my rope

Ok i have a 1988 Monte carlo SS, and for sanity sake lets just say it has the Stock 305 (L79 i believe).

My problem is that i get absoutly no ignition, when i turn the key there isen't a single solitary sound form anywhere in the car.

And i know i'm getting power from the battery because, A. i've tested that with a volt meter, and B. my headlights still work, but even if the key is turned to the on position, when i turn on my headlights the warning sound comes on, and im talking about the sound you hear when you turn on your headlights with no key in the ignition.

I've replaced the starter and ran new wiring in the front, As far as i know my alternator is still good, and my battery is kind've brand new, it's only a few months old.

Somebody please help me because i don't know what to do from here, i can't get the ignition to work and i don't know why, i'd really appriciate the help, thanks.
Old May 25th, 2009, 9:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

This may be a stupid suggestion...

Get a spare battery (from another car) and attach the negative wire to your starter. Then attach the positive wire (wear rubber gloves )
As soon as you connect the positive wire from the battery to your starter, the starter should start working. If thats the case, then you have a bad connection somewhere between your car key and the starter. Probably a fuse gone banana...
You can also just take some long cables and connect your car battery to your starter immediatly. Its the same thing.

If this trick doesnt work... well, then I'm at the same end of your rope...
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like your Ignition lock cylinder isn't activating your ignition switch.

Could be a bad lock cylinder.

Could be a loose actuating rod.

I suspect it's probably a loose ignition switch.

Follow from your lock cylinder down the inside of your steering column to your ignition switch. Maybe you knocked a wire or harness loose with your foot? Check for anything loose on the assembly.

Won't cost ya nothin'.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can point you in the correct direction but you need a test light and a dvom. Do you have those?