Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

possible engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2008, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible engine swap?

hello, i am new to this site, but i was wondering if anyone of you guys have tried to put an old motor in a newer old truck? i have an '88 scottsdale with a 4.3 v6, and a 5 speed standered trans. the v6 has started knocking really bad. i wanted to know if it was possible to take a 350 that has low miles on it out of an '86 gmc 3/4 ton with a four speed auto out and swap it into my 88 scottsdale. the gmc is rusted really bad but has low miles, the scottsdale is in great shape, but the motor is done now.

i wanted to know if swap was possible? i would like to keep my standered tranny. what would i need to do to make this happen. oh yah, and both trucks are two wheel drive.

thanks. any advice would help.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 9:29 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: possible engine swap?

should not be a big problem ,will bolt up to the transmission is the v-6 tbi injection or carburated electronic ignition ,you might have to get some parts from another engine to match fuel system .
Old March 3rd, 2008, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

i believe the v6 is tbi because it has an efi sticker on the tailgate. the 350 should be carburated. could i just use the carburated setup thats still on the 350?
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
rms
CF Junior Member

The carb would work great but the problem may end up being the emmissions inspection for the '88. Check you state laws. If so check to see if you can get an adapter for the 350 intake to bolt on the fuel system from the other truck and get larger injectors. If you have a welder and a torch etc, it should not be to hard to make one out of plate steel.